I Forge Iron

Need a blower...

Heyo everyone,

Tis I Drako : ) Well I am tired of using the little shop vac I have for a blower, I need a good, QUIET, electric blower that I can easily attach and run. Any suggestions? This shop vac is just killing me, and I am having trouble getting my hand crank blowers going. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Burden Sales Corp. also known as Surplus Sales, they are on the web. You want about 200-300 CFM (cubic feet per minute) unless you have a huge forge, which could possibly use up to 500CFM. When you find their website, search for squirell cage blowers. Don't bother with a motor speed controller, make a movable flap to restrict the inlet air (inlet to the blower). This is the best way to regulate blower air for a lot of reasons.

Edited by arftist
spelling

I have pulled squirrel cage blowers out of copy machines, and other office equipment. An old kitchen range hood may also be a good donor. Look around for one of the old C tube fireplace blower units---a series of tubes bent into a C that the flames warmed while air was blown through them. Craigslist would be a good start, check the freebies first then the ads. Also check Upillar.com, freecycle.com/org? Garage sales, office equipment repair shops, appliance repair shops, and flea markets. nShould be able to locate one easy enough.

I used an old oil burner gun, stripped the pump, transformer, cad cell, and primary relay off. That left me with a housing with a motor and fan. A little time and a bit of sheet metal to close up where the parts were pulled and away ya go.

Still need to do a bit of work to my forge, need to add a switch to turn it on and off, pulling the cord is a pain. And a bit more work on the air intake gate to control it better.

Chris

I use a vaccum cleaner that is located in a shed next to my forge, I dont hear it and to control the airflow I use a stormwater direction flow tap ($12). I did have to dismantle the vaccum and rewire the on off switch so I can turn it on or off from my forge. To date it has been working a treat.

You want about 200-300 CFM (cubic feet per minute) unless you have a huge forge, which could possibly use up to 500CFM.

By my way of thinking, any forge that needs 200 CFM is huge. I used to drive an enormous oil forge to a self-destructive, blinding white using probably not much more than 100. (I got rid of the oil forge because it was just too hard to control.)

Thanks for all the great tips guys! I like the sound of the clothes dryer blower, I want whisper quite! I know where a clothes dryer is to, just gotta take the clothes out ofi t and get to work!! HAHA! XD Mom would kill me!

Francis Cole I looked on Daytona's website it looked like they had some good blowers, there was a 15volt blower actually might have been 12volt I don't remember, but that sounded kind of small would it work for a forge?

Drako11 they have 12V 115V & 230V. I use a 115V it is great you can see how well it works in a video on my web sight Welcome to nokomis Forge - Hand-Crafted My Custom Ironwrok My forge is 11"x11"x 4" welded plate the tube is 4"x4" with a built in damper. It will get away from you if you run it full out.

Dragon lair I had that problem with my gas forge so I turned it around with the vents facing away from the forge. works fine now

Edited by Francis Cole