I Forge Iron

こんにちは!From Taiwan!

kogatana

Hello
I'm writing from Taiwan, and it is after seeing blacksmiths in Japan that I've got bitten. On a woodworking tool forum, a good soul recently explained how to make ones own charcoal. So now it's decided I'll get started (probably a big part of the job is done: decide!;)).
I have found a place, need some basic tools and an anvil. In the meantime I'll make charcoal and build a small forge.

PS: I've just found out that the user oakwoodforge, the member of the tool forum who explains about the charcoal is also writing here. Hi Jens.

Ludo

Welcome to IFI, Ludo. This is a great place to learn and share information and projects. I've traveled thru the Far East and used to know the proper Chinese greeting, but alas, age and time have hampered the memory. Suffice it to say again, welcome.

Howdy from EAST Texas! Glad you could make it aboard. My Tae Kwon Do instructor was from Taiwan, moving to the States when he was 10. He doesn't know squat about blacksmithing but is AWESOME in the martial arts!

Look forward to see some of your work when you get to "heatn & beatn". Once again, Welcome.

LUDO-- NIN HAO I can't make the symbols for it.GRIN. Glad to have you join us. You are very welcome and we are looking forward to seeing the first pieces you make. That way we will be able to see you progress.

We have all been there and it is amazing how fast some people progress. They get pretty good work after just a short time.

Welcome and enjoy life.

Chuck Bennett

Hi Chuck and Sam!

Thanks for your welcome :) I've spend the last 2 days burried into the forum and I'm burning to start. But right now I have ... just nothing (no tool, no forge, no charcoal). Tonight instead of going to the seaside with our 20mths old son as my wife suggested, we might as well go to where I plan to set my forge, and maybe begin with the first step: making charcoal.

What I find difficult is to get started: find the tools, the place... and some friends to learn from. It's no doubt that friends are nearby on the forum, the chat on tuesday night was a real encouragement for me. :)

Ludo

Tonight instead of going to the seaside with our 20mths old son as my wife suggested, we might as well go to where I plan to set my forge, and maybe begin with the first step: making charcoal. Ludo

Ah, if the wife is happy, then she will be more supportive oif your smithing endeavors. I really do wish I could have a business, where I can fly and or drive to other smiths/prospective smiths, and help get them started. Building forges is SO easy, as is assembling all the basic tools.

Brian and ApprenticeMan thanks for your messages!
Well, if any one of you happen to come over to Taiwan, I'd be more than happy to show you around what is nice to see... and of course to listen to your advices for building a forge. Today we (wife, baby son and I, the dog stayed at home) went near Taipei to see a blacksmith shop. Bad luck the guy wasn't at his shop, we just met his wife. I asked where to find an anvil and blacksmith hammers, she didn't know. In Taiwan the art of blacksmith is getting extinct. So no anvil. No hammer. But patience. I have carefully seen how a tong is made and this afternoon went to a construction site gather some steel bars (those used for reinforcing concrete). This could make good tong, couldn't it? Now remains the anvil, blower, forge...
If you search ebay Taiwan for an anvil, or blacksmith tools, you won't find anything. But if you're after computers,cameras or expensive bags and purses, clothes, there you go! Not for me...

Regards

Ludo

• 6 years later...

Nin Hao Ludo,
I am a second generation blacksmith from the US.
Next month (March 25th) I travel to Shijr City , I hour drive North of Taipei.
My hosts have set up a forge, including a recently acquired Japanese spring power hammer.
I will be helping to establish the shop and teaching a class. Do you operate the same type of power hammer? I would be honored to visit your shop and meet you.
Best regards, Zackarya Leck , near Seattle USA