I Forge Iron

raised vein leaf

How is the raised vein made in a leaf?
I assume a crease is made in a piece of flat stock and the leaf form is centered over it and then beat down so the vein section is just the part that is not flattened. How wide and deep must the crease in the die be? How is the leaf form kept steady so the edge of the vein is not eradicated by slight but inevitable movement?
BTW, the leaf on Brian Brazeal's web site could make a guy cry it is so well done.
Bob

yeh....i saw that one ..lol ...my feeble attempts, though ok are no where near as ok as that and a couple of others ive seen from this forun
you can make a hardy die or a chisel or get flash a do a spring die. the rest is practice/technique. a steady hand and a good eye.....and good hammering.:)

If it were me, I would raise the vein as opposed to to trying to dish/flatten everywhere the vein isn't. I think you will find raising over a small steel ball or similar stake easier. Depending on how thick your leaf is you can also use the different types of steel balls used in doming sets. I.e more like Repousse work on a thick rubber mat, pine plank, shot bag, pitch, etc.

domingset1.gif

Schwarzkopf* shows a simple hand held chasing tool which has a slight curve on the business end. You run it along either side of what will eventually be the vein. It is often done cold, and you rock it along like an old fashioned can opener. You are setting down material, thus leaving the raised vein.
* "Plain and Ornamental Forging" reprinted in 2000 by Astragal Press

Turley Forge and Blacksmithing School : The Granddaddy of Blacksmithing Schools

yep and the use of stock or angle, with a shelf/step on the anvil to keep the steel rib created, central for both sides raised vein.

http://www.artist-blacksmith.org/education/education_index.htm

http://home.flash.net/~dwwilson/ntba/archive/decoleaf/leaftools.html

Edited by double_edge2