I Forge Iron

Cable with 15N20/1084 core on edge

jeremy k

This is a billet I made from anti-twist cable on the sides with an 8 layer core of 15N20 and 1084 on edge. I had a push from a knife maker here on IFI to try something like this, but this was a practice billet before I try the slightly more complicated one. This is just a 400 grit rough grind, slightly etched and slightly blued to see the pattern. The anti-twist cable - I can see throws a bit of a mismatch from side to side if the grinding is not down into the same layers per side - just more pattern - right? Basically one side just looks a bit pronounced, This may come out of it after a full grind and polish. This was the first time welding cable into a billet ( at a friends I set the weld by hand then used his 1B Nazel to forge to shape)[sweet running hammer by the way] and also first time welding up a billet with a layered core(the layered billet has been welded for almost a year and today I found it and it was screaming to be used). The pictures are a bit hard to see but you can make out the core anyway. It looks as if I can get a good section out of this billet that measures 3/16" thick x a strong 1-1/4" wide and 5" long maybe 5-1/2 if a slight flaw grinds out during finishing. - - Comments appreciated - good or bad. - JK

17534.attach

17535.attach

Edited by jeremy k

By anti - twist do you mean non-rotating wire rope? If so it has a core where the yarns are laid in the opposite direction to counter the natural tendence of cable to twist when strain is applied or released.

If you pull the core yarns you're left with standard if hollow cored wire rope. Non-rotating wire rope comes in both right and left lay because even with the counter rotating core there is still a tendency for it to rotate somewhat according to the outer yarn's lay. There are more strands on the outer layer than the inner so it has the mechanical advantage.

A driller tends to pick these things up and even though I try, I can't seem to forget them. ;) I don't know how much if any use it'll be to you but there it is.

Nice looking billet, I look forward to seeing how it finally turns out.

Frosty

Frosty - that could be - I'm not sure, this cunk of cable was cut and welded on the ends when I recieved it from the guy and I just welded it up at his place that night after our monthly hammer-in. I'll most likely see him this weekend, so I'll as him about it.

Rich - thanks for the shove :) - -JK

Well I prepared the tip of the billet to weld. I cut out a "V" from the end and ground them slightly to a curve from the inside out so that when heated and hammered on edge they would close up and form a smooth curved point from each side. Here is a couple pics to show how it turned out with the cable border continueing around the tip and the core strips stopping inside the border on the tip. As you can see - I did not get it welded completedly as it should be. This is by far not perfect but I'm happy with the process involved. I'm by no means a forge welder as I can count on my fingers the number the number of completed pattern welds I've made that turned out half way good. - It is a journey though. - JK

17552.attach

17553.attach