I Forge Iron

File EDC with Ko-notare Hamon

oakwoodforge

This little guy was an experiment of sorts. I'd never tried for a hamon on a blacksmith's knife before or even on a blade this small for that matter. Lesson learned: use less clay !!! This one fails the test, the hamon is too close to the edge, though it is a decent portrayal of a Ko-notare type pattern and has some interesting charcater.

Jens

473.attach

474.attach

Bruce after polishing on a natural chug nagura stone (about 2000- 2500 grit) I give 'em a quick dip in a white vinegar & lemon juice Mix that I heat to near boiling in the microwave. Then I neurtalize with baking soda and rinse with water a couple of times then just oil the blade.

Jens

A hamon line to close to the edge means eventually with continued use and sharpening you will wear through the hardened steel. After all a hamon line is just visable proof of hardened and un-hardened steel. Also It just looks off when the line is to close to the edge, I think a good balance is about 1/4 to 3/8 but no more than 1/2 of the blade covered by the hamon and thats what I try for.
I've Been using Satanite that I got from Ellis Custom Knifeworks Refractory & High Temperature Tools - Ellis Custom Knifeworks

Jens