I Forge Iron

Roger Lorance firepot, swage blocks

I ordered a complete firepot from Roger, and we spoke on the phone a few times, he is a super nice guy, been blacksmithing since the early seventies. He told me that he makes these products so that blacksmiths can work with a superior product. I really enjoyed talking with him.

I talked to him about the forum, he told me that he doesn't know anything about computers, about all he does is look over the posts, he doesn't want to post. He says he cant keep up with the computer. I suspect he spends his time BLACKSMTHING, not on the computer, like Brian! I talked to him for quite a while and told him if i got out his way i wanted to come meet him. Super nice guy.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks, Brian. I'll have to write another subject on forge design to show what I've learned about this setup.

Okay, I added a new thread under" Forges, Solid Fuel", on how the different fireboxes/grate/clinker breakers function and some info on the triangular clinker breaker/grates.

I hope it helps.

For the record,there is a knock off of Roger's firepot by Laurel Mississippi Forge. That's where I bought my first one. They are identical, very thick. Not sure if LMF is still producing them and would really rather see Roger get the business. Snachted the last one I bought was right out from underneath Brian Brazeal at the 2010 LAMA conference that someone had put in the auction. No one else could figure why either of us was willing to pay $200 for a used firepot. Been in this firepot for 8 years now and still not sure when it will burn out. Also, for the record, Brian has burned out three of these firepots in his lifetime and it probably would have been six of any other. Back when he had a lot of industial coke.

No, Randy, it is triangular. The drawing does not show it. I can see where you would think is was flat on both sides.

Well it is flat on the sides for about 1/2" or so then tapering to a point on the bottom. But you cant spin it around it just rocks side to side. Its a very good fire pot but it would be even better with a normal rotating clinker breaker. I own two and I like them.

For the record,there is a knock off of Roger's firepot by Laurel Mississippi Forge. That's where I bought my first one. They are identical, very thick. Not sure if LMF is still producing them and would really rather see Roger get the business. Snachted the last one I bought was right out from underneath Brian Brazeal at the 2010 LAMA conference that someone had put in the auction. No one else could figure why either of us was willing to pay $200 for a used firepot. Been in this firepot for 8 years now and still not sure when it will burn out. Also, for the record, Brian has burned out three of these firepots in his lifetime and it probably would have been six of any other. Back when he had a lot of industial coke.

If I would have known that you already had another fire pot, I would have kept bidding.
I was using petroleum coke back then, witch burns clean and produces no clinker. That is why I went through so many fire pots, and I worked 12 to 18 hours a day, usually 7 days a week without many breaks. Clinkers protect you fire pot.
A fire pot like Rogers will last most people many lifetimes.