I Forge Iron

Is Rebar Worth Working??

there are better steels, better suited for different jobs, ive used it as drifts and punches on small stuff and it needs constant touching up, if you have nothing else, go with it. i normally use a lot of it for iron work and jigs.:)

and tongs....and it comes in party size for spring dies.....got a couple of 40mm and bigger dia.

17171.attach

17172.attach

Edited by double_edge2

i saw a great piece of fencework recently made entirely of rebar i wish i had taken a photo it was in a jungle kind of enclosure in a zoo and it looked great in amongst the vines and plants. I made a mental note of "a good use for rebar" :)

While not the best for tools, it does work for lots of things. I've just finished making bottle openers out of it. I also made some really good tent pegs. The ridges helped them hold. It can be inconsistent, but I've had issues with regular hot rolled steel too. As long as you pay attention to your heats and such, and accept that you may have some failed projects, it's fun to see what the twists can become.

I've worked a fair amount of rebar with few problems, make sure its got good color. A good way to educate the public on the process of forging and the elasticity of steel is to forge something on the end of a stick of rebar and leave the rest intact. This is effective on finished work as well by taking a found object slightly out of context while keeping a reference point to the original material.

In general the larger sizes are made to a specification. I forget off had what the specification details are but it is rolled in at regular interval. The general thought is that if you don't have to forge out the ridges and you main stress is tension as in a wrench. or some similar then rebar is useful. I've made big wrenches out of it that lasted years.

Be warned there are some pieces of it, high manganese I suspect, that refuse to be forge welded in the ordinary way.

I use a lot of Chinese rebar for forging. So do all the local smiths. It works well if you know what you are doing and the texture can be useful for providing grip. I got some that had been rolled through badly worn rollers so it has very little texture left. I use that as the reins on my 10 minute tongs and it works very well. Some welds better than others.

It is very useful for reinforcing concrete by the way.

If you want to use "good" rebar, look for the markings that tell you the grade. Rebar is kind of all over the place with regards to carbon content. If you find a piece that has a "W" on it, that means its weldable, and therefore more of an alloy steel. These would be decent for tools. I talked to a blacksmith that told me he made a chisel out of rebar, and it turned out to be one of his best chisels. Usually the larger stuff is an alloy, so it can be welded. Like #8 bar and above. By the way the numbers are in eighths of an inch, a #8 is one inch. The weldable rebar is similar to tool steel in its working properties, pretty tough stuff.