I Forge Iron

Tempering with a drift

Thanks, Frosty and Beth.

I should have turned the first picture. You can see that the drift is hot and the faces are silver colored in the first pic. The second picture shows a little blue in my touch mark. The third picture shows more blue and straw migrating beyond the cheeks, and the hammer has been put on a second hot drift from the other side of the hole. The fourth pic shows straw at the faces and an even blue in the cheeks. The fifth pic is the finished hammer and is blacker because I had to arrest the temper by dipping it in oil so the temper stopped at straw. I could have just used 1 drift to do a hammer of that size, and let the temper run out slower and not have to arrest it. Also I could have ground and polished the whole hammer so you could see the colors better, but I leave the hammer work showing and only grind the faces.

The colors look awesome, if not .. well kinda pretty. (A photographer fella at work loaned me his color calibrator for computers monitors so I get really true colors.)

Being really new to all this, and looking at these pictures, I think I am still tempering a bit hot. My bands of the same color are less than an inch wide on much thinner stock than this. note to self: be patient.

Brian, it looks as if you polish the faces of the hammer prior to tempering. Is this the way you usually do it (so you can see the color come to the face) or was it just so that we can see how it draws out to the face. BTW, what color was the drift prior to inserting in the eye? Very "cool" pics also.

DennisG

Thanks Brian.

I was able to see the colors at the cheeks and where it necked down to the face but I couldn't make it out after that. The shined up hammer shows how abrupt the transition is from the necks to the face as the thickening steel slows conduction.

I don't mind a slow temper using multiple drifts. When I did mine the center of the face wasn't drawing quite as fast as the edges. I attributed it to the cheeks picking up heat faster from the wide face of the drift than the center of the eye was from the narrower edge of the drift.

The edges of the faces were bordering on purple while the centers were just passing from pale straw to straw. My next one I'll stop the temper at pale straw as this hammer is a bit softer than I like.

Frosty

Brian, it looks as if you polish the faces of the hammer prior to tempering. Is this the way you usually do it (so you can see the color come to the face) or was it just so that we can see how it draws out to the face. BTW, what color was the drift prior to inserting in the eye? Very "cool" pics also.

DennisG

DennisG, I grind the hammer before I harden it, then after it cools, I regrind to remove the scale then finish polish it, then temper it.
I heat the drift up to orange.