I Forge Iron

What is it?

To me it looks like the anvil/tool used for working the square link drive chains on lots of farm machinery. Possibly even for working with roller chain. The right end is the classic form for working the square drive links. And the other end looks more like it would be used for punching out the pins on roller chain.

Just a thought.

Mikey

well it is for what ever you can use it for now that you have it one other thing i see you chisels there are mushroomed over i would grind them down if you had one of those break off and fly into your hand you would understand my concern

Good eye orgtwister.

It's interesting that you mentioned the chisels. A friend that came by on the same day you posted that admonished me as well. I guess I better dress them. I bought a bucket of punches and chisels at an auction. Haven't touched 90% of them. Thought I'd show you the rest so you can recoil in horror. :)

Kendrick

17031.attach

It's not so awful bad when they mushroom. But, when the mushroom starts to split and the turn into little pieces of shrapnel. They come off at like mach 2 and could easily put out an eye. Good luck ...... you'll wear down an entire 6 inch wheel grinding off all those mushrooms ..... LOL

Mutt

That is true, but you should reforge the striking end, then grind, and you'll save your wheel or belts. That is normal wear and tear, and before it gets too far you should reforge them. You can even forge weld splits on tool steel relatively easily. Just don't burn it up. Tool steel forge welds very easily at lower temps than mild steel.