I Forge Iron

What can a blacksmith make?

What are the items a blacksmith can make?

I suggest we divide this into categories as we post to make things easier to sort through. Camping, utilitarian, ornamental, architectural, etc.

Camping
grills
grates
tripods
pokers

Utilitarian
knives, forks, spoons
s hooks
trammels

Ornamental
birds
fish
animal heads, ram, mule horse, long horn

Architectural
railings
gates
window grills

I am sure there are other categories (tools etc) and many more items that can be listed.

What can a blacksmith make?

What can a blacksmith make...ANYTHING JK

Since the traditional blacksmith was often expected to work in:
- iron (eating and cooking utensils, house hardware, lighting devices, decorative items, tools for every craft, knives, swords, guns, hasps, locks, torture instruments, slave hardware, chastity belts, etc),
- wood (wagon wheels, tool handles, chests, iron and wood furniture, canon carriage repair in times of war, carriage repair, etc),
- and leather (harness, knife holsters and other leather repair and manufacture)

The list of what a blacksmith can't make would be much smaller, especially since the smith needs to have a sufficient understanding of other crafts to be able to effectively make and repair tools for them.

So what can a smith not make:
- smiths can't herd cats. :D

A agree with the others in that a list of what a Blacksmith can't make would be shorter, especially regarding the other disciplines they work in, like wood and leather.

I think it is fair to note that the Blacksmith is the only traditional tradesman who could make his own tools as long as he had a fire, something to bang on and with.

Regards,
Tim
Who started up his own forge today and made a fire rake and started his first set of tongs. :)