I Forge Iron

A maybe better way to remove rust.

Charlotte

There have been many threads posted here about rust removal. This about a low toxic product that is less likely to eat holes in concrete or create any dangerous chemicals.

I would like to recommend another product for rust removal.

CLR Lime and Rust remover.
The reason I recommed this product is that it is less likely to produce harmeful products than using any of the usual acids and contains surfactants that will permit the remover to wet the surface better than vinegar.

The formula is:
1. Water 70-81%
2. Lactic Acid 15-20%
3. Gluconic Acid 2-4 %
4. Lauryldimethyl Hydroxysultaine 1-4%
5. Propylene Glycol Normal Butyl Ether 1-2%

Of the componets only the Lactic Acid and Propylene Glycol Normal Butyl Ether are considered OSHA hazards. (Lactic acid is the sour milk acid and one of the fatigue products produced by exercise.)

I decided to try this on my try square which was left in my shop with the leak in the roof for a week. Not bad rust but enough that it was not ledgible.
It cleaned the rust very quickly with out touching the steel under neat. So a good product for cleaning finished surfaces. I did rub with a natural brisle brush occasionaly while the stuff was working. It is worth a try when finish is more important than speed.

The manufacturer makes an number of other low tox products that could be useful. The web site is: http://www.jelmar.com/MSDS.htm
Most products are availabe in the grocery store.

Edited by Charlotte
add web site