I Forge Iron

heater and forge chimney

For the forge a large free flowing flue is best. If you combine the two you may have creosote buildup problems from the woodstove venting into a too large flue. If you are building a masonry chimney you could use two flues running separately all the way to the top in one chimney , one large for the forge and one small for the woodstove; otherwise keep them separate.

Edited by dkunkler
clarification

No it is not recomended that two of anything go into one chimney.
I wouldn't recomend putting a woodd stove too close to the forge any way as it would be WAY too hot to work, matter of fact if it were me I would want the forge and woodstove on opposite sides of the shop, I have heated with wood in my house and shops all my life and can tell you that working next to a wood stove is not a good idea let alone with another heat source like a forge.

welder19

Watch the smoke being exhausted from the chimney of a wood stove. That is the volumn of air the stove requires to operate. Watch the smoke being exhausted from the chimney of the forge. That is the volumn of air the forge requires to operate. Now add them together and THAT is the amount of fresh air you will have to get INTO the building to make up for the air going out the chimneys.

You can pipe in outside air to the wood stove, and pipe in outside air to the forge to make up for some of the air needed. I would suggest you leave a window open and have both a working smoke and a working CO detector installed.

Check your local building codes concerning how many flues are needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What different considerations should there be for a propane heater? I have a ceiling-mounted warehouse heater and have been meaning to put the forge under it to share a 12" chimney. The main issue I was thinking of is grit buildup in the heater. It doesn't get all that cold, here.

It doesn't matter what types of gasses or smoke they all still need their own chimney, you don't even want two of the same going out one chimney because it can create draft problems for one or the other and if they were not tied together just right could also allow fumes or smoke back in through one if it wasn't running.

welder19