I Forge Iron

Got my Brent Bailey Abrazo hammer

Finally took the plunge and ordered a Brent Bailey hammer-the Abrazo. Beautiful hammer-nicely made-works even better. Looks to nice to use-well almost. Had to light a fire and play as soon as it got here. Brent is nice to do business with also-great service, even better product.
Mark Emig

I hate to say this with all the Hofi-ites around, but I do not like the Hofi hammer (which I have used). I took a week long class with Hofi-VERY talented man, does fantastic work and I have great respect for all he has done for blacksmithing- but about 10 years ago I blew a hole in my hammer hand running an abrasive water jet (55,000 PSI- ouch) and I just don't find it comfortable or ergonomic for me. The Abrazo is a great drawing and heavy forging hammer and I really like it. I can't make a hammer like that in less than 3 hours if I am lucky. My shop rate is 65 bucks an hour, so it would cost me at least 200 in lost production time to make it.

Ken, I didn't get your question until I looked at the website again-my hammer has a normal handle. The first thing I did though was shave it down the way I learned from Mark Aspery. If you look in his first book he shows how. With my hand problem I make the handle pretty thin-which actually takes away some of the shock transmitted. Works great for me.
Mark

Man, those are some lovely hammers. I recently ordered a couple of hammers from Blacksmiths Depot (have neither the money nor the skill to justifya really nice hammer) and between the two -- their Czech/Hofi style and a Peddinghaus 1500-gram Nordic-- I much prefer the Nordic. Can't say why.

Edited by Bill in Oregon