I Forge Iron

Canola Oil metal protection issues

The last batch of steak-turners did something weird that I've never had happen to me before. It turned almost like a black glossy paint. Can't hardly dent any bubbles that formed with your fingernail. Copper scrub pad hardly scratches it. Has anyone else had this happen?

It was hot rolled 1/4" metal soaked in vinegar and baked @ 550F in the oven until warm and the oil rubbed on and then put back in to blacken up for an hour or so. Started out patchy so I kept adding a bit more oil to make it more even. Looks fine other than the unevenness of the paint and bubbles from drips.

It just depends how thick you put it on. If possible I like to heat the piece with a gas forge or propane torch, take it out of the forge and, while holding it, "spritz" it lightly with oil. It seems to help me get an even coat without runs and dribbles.

Actually I don't really see anything wrong except that it is a little extra shiney.
You did a nice job of forging and didn't over heat the metal. The twists are good and appropriate. I think that maybe you are just doing a better job and didn't realize it, :)

what I see is white marks from soapstone. I would reheat to working temp. to burn it all off the oil and soapstone wire bruch then cool and try again. Myself I would use stright bees wax. only my $.02 nice work we have boy scouts make steak turners for there metal working merritbadge here

Edited by Francis Cole

Hey EC,

I do a lot of finishing with vegetable oil to make my hammered vessels and utensils food safe.

What you're describing happens fairly often - the oil has "flash cooked" to a hard shiny finish which rests more on the surface of the metal instead of "soaking in" and building up in layers.

I've never been able to pin down the exact reason. One piece will turn out fine, the next will be as you described - I've changed oil batches, applied at a bunch of different heats, wiped on, sprayed, dipped and used just about every other kind o' application technique and it still occurs on occasion.

While it seems tough, it's very brittle with a tendency to break up and flake off down to bare metal with any flexing or abrupt physical shock to the piece.

Reheating, burning it off and starting over really is the best thing for it.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Try running through the dishwasher. That takes the seasoning off cast iron pans. I finish my pans with shortening in the oven as I find oil to be sticky when done. A few coats of shortening is glossy like that, but will have no bubbles whether you rub it in hot, or cold then heat.

You could also build a campfire.

Phil