I Forge Iron

Just got back from Boy Scout Camp

TMIB

Yep, lots of trial and error (and scrap wood) but we produced enough charcoal each week to run classes without having to go out and buy coal. We started with a bit of coal (plus the gas forge) but used charcoal most of the time.

--TMIB

Nice! Wish I had that opportunity. Hope you got to use that fly rod too. I also suppose the fly rod has a serious case. Wish more student projects were pictured. Keep up the good work.
Phil

Yep, the fly rod is a backpacking rod, so it breaks down and fits in a hard case. My second fly rod doesn't go as small, so it's in a piece of schedule 40 PVC.

The scouts start out making s-hooks out of 1/4" square; a ribbon taper is put on each end, then they are curled into a small flat scroll. (like the rattails you'd see if these were round stock) Next the ends are bent over the anvil horn (and if needed, trued up in a jig). Then a decorative twist is put in the middle and they are wire brushed & waxed/oiled.

The second project they make is a center puch out of 5160. They form the punch, then we oil quench and run the temper colors to about a purple at the tip.

Their third project is something with a rivetted joint; a dutch oven trivet, candle holder, sconce, lantern hanger, pot rack, tongs, etc. I let them choose, but give them suggestions based on their demonstrated ability and time remaining.

All in all it was a fantastic experience for me, and I know the scouts had a great time as well.

--TMIB

Man, I wish scout camp was like that when I was a kid. I could have started smithin 35 years sooner!!! They are one lucky bunch of kids.

You could always find a local camp or scout troop and offer to teach. :)

--TMIB