I Forge Iron

Source for W1 round not drill rod

Does anyone know of a Source of W1 round that is not drill rod? I am finishing up some samples that I am pretty sure I am going to get the job. I am going to need either 40' of 1 1/8" round or if I cannot get that I need 50' of 1" round. I hate buying ground 3' pieces because it is so expensive buying it that way. My local steel supplier has quoted me about $66 per pc. I am shopping around for a better price on that but I would prefer getting 10' lengths of hot rolled. I would take a larger diameter if the price was significantly cheaper.

Thanks Charlotte, I just spoke to them they have it in drill rod only as well. They are going to quote me a price and I think it will probably be much cheaper. I got a second price on the drill rod from another supplier that is 45 min. from here. $26 per pc. Just shows that it's worth shopping around for steel when buying any quantity.

Thanks Charlotte, I just spoke to them they have it in drill rod only as well. They are going to quote me a price and I think it will probably be much cheaper. I got a second price on the drill rod from another supplier that is 45 min. from here. $26 per pc. Just shows that it's worth shopping around for steel when buying any quantity.

You may want to try these people as well. Southern Tool Steel Edited by mod07

My normal supplier for small quantities of anything high Carbon is Industrial Material Center in Stoney Creek (now part of Hamilton). They are good for smaller quantities and even short pieces of heavy mild steel. I know of several machine shops that use them as their steel stockroom. If I used to need a small length of heavy bar I would go to another supplier and find a piece of secondary steel close to what I needed. I have found it is often cheaper and takes less time to buy exactly what I need from Industrial.
The better price I received from Vanguard Steel in Missisauga, they are a bigger supplier and I am sure they have a minimum order of at least a few hundred dollars. If you are comeing down this way and want a couple of lengths let me know and I will add it to my order when I get the go ahead from my cutomer.
One lesson I learned when dealing with the larger suppliers is to make sure you get a quote. About two years ago I ordered about 10 lengths of 3/4" 4140 from EMJ and thought these guys are much cheaper than my local supplier so I tacked on to the order a couple of lengths each of some sizes of mild steel that I was using for misc projects. When the bill came in the misc. mild steel was significantly more expensive than buying it form my local supplier.

Hi

thank you for the offer but i don't think i'll be going south till the fall sometime..

those sources look to be very good.. .. its a real struggle to get any kind of decent steel up north here from local sources ( without getting gouged badly )

26 bucks per 1 inch round of W1 ( 10 foot length )

that is outstanding price...!!

since i pay that for a 3/4 round 3ft at fastenal uphere...

thanks again
Greg

Hi

lets just say unless your a big mine or mine contractor, that business with sudbury should be avoided at alllllllllll costs.. :mad:

for example... i just moved back to the north from halifax ( very reluctantly:(
and i brought some reciepts of my steel purchases from a halifax fastenal..... went into the sudbury fastenal and asked for a quote..... got a price 20% higher than halifax..... slapped my reciept down and asked why they are gouging... the manager bumbled with words... played with the computer a little... went into the office and came back..... then said if i deal with them as a business that he'd give me 15% off... :o

- before i left halifax i asked the fastenal manager there about pricing... he said all the prices in the stores should all be the same across canada... oh reeeeeally ;)

my point being that up north, you really have to watch who you deal with... i could go on and on... .. i've lived most of my life in sudbury, and i have nothing good to say about it ( except that i like the university !)

a good source of W1 is important to me... and those links are a big help
thanks again

Greg