I Forge Iron

what are some uses for old horseshoes?

I have an opportunity to get a TON of horseshoes from an estate, and you know how hard it is to turn material down :rolleyes: I have one sculptural idea in mind, but would like some other ideas that you have seen, or make. I live in an area where horse property is common real estate terminology, so a horse related item should sell well.

A wine rack would be a cool idea , you can weld up to make the frame of a coffee table and put a glass top on it . I got to see a real neat coat rack that was free standing made from a bunch of horse shoes ,Hoof pick and have made hearts out of the shoes for deco in homes

Used horse shoe art is very popular for some reason. Anything that can be pieced together out of horse shoe's can be sold as art. Cowboys, with (wire) rope lassos catching Horse shoe cattle is always a big attention getter. It doesn't matter if the shoe has been twisted 5 ways from sunday. As long as you can still recognize it as starting as a used shoe you can sell it. ;)

Edited by Charlotte
PS I'm thinking table top art not the monumental works above. Take to horse shows .

Alrighty then, I had seen some trivits, and a chair, but you all have given me some other good ideas to get started. I have a picture of a horse that my Dad had taken on a trip to visit relatives. It did use a ton of shoes plus some other horse appropriate scrap.

I picked out a couple bigger, and more interesting shoes to hang on my front gate to the house. One big shoe had a couple of large thumbscrew looking pieces attached to it. Don't know if they were possibly for winter traction up on Mt Charleston. Whatever it was for, it was a big horse.

Thanks

Those studs in the horse shoes are called Caulks. They are for added traction - often used on "winter" shoes.

Western Horseman magazine compiled a book called Horseman's Scrapbook by Randy Steffen isbn 0-911647-07-4. It has a LOT of ideas for using old horse shoes. My copy says The Revised at the top, and was published in 1986.

I've got a couple "cowboy" sculptures made from horse shoes that another farrier made up years ago. I will see if I can get some pics of them and post them.

Two tacked together at the heels and at a 90 degree angle become book ends for the shelf. Two with a short length of pipe welded between the ends and a rod passed through both becomes a door hinge. One welded on its side to an iron plate so that it sticks out works as a coat hook, or hanger for tack. A pair of them become a gun rack (with a little leather wrapping to protect the gun).

Also --- frames for pictures like snapshots of the family. A series of shoes welded by their heels and at 90 degrees to a pair of iron bars turns them into a CD or DVD rack - either setting on a shelf or bolted upright to the wall (just get the "flat" sides all facing up). A slight tilt for the wall mount helps hold the cd's or dvd's in - kind of like a magazine rack.

And the options can go on and on and on ...

Mikey

Edited by Mike Ameling

I just did a Google search for horseshoe crafts, and got a lot of ideas. Toilet paper / paper tower holders, napkin holders, door knockers, various racks / hooks. candle holders, wall sconces, boot jack,coffee mug trees, and a shoe and branding iron towel bar.

The CD rack sound interesting.

WOW! some GREAT ideas and JohnB, Thanks for those photos! Something that has sold well for me is a 'snake' from horseshoes, if they have a caulk even better as they can be made into 'rattlesnakes' the extra material forges into a nice head and then the other end make square, twist, the flatten to form rattlers. If you are doing a demo, have one laying on the ground close to where the crowd will be and once in a while 'warn' them of the 'snake' at their feet! Get's 'em every time:)

Hwooldridge: Can't you get a shorter handle than that? My finger is tired before I get to the subject. You been hangin' with Frosty way too much! I surely don't know which one of you is worse (better?).

So, when people find out you're a blacksmith, do they ask how you got that way?

I turn them into hearts for candle holder bases etc. Trivets, Split it in half and make a fork/ spoon set out of it, Buisness card holders/Picture holders, Fold in half for a nice Folding knife handle, put some hooks on it to make a keychain holder, decorate it up to hang on a wall, use it as a back for a door knocker (use a railroad spike for a striking piece fixed to it like a hinge), ... The list goes on.

Hwooldridge: Can't you get a shorter handle than that? My finger is tired before I get to the subject. You been hangin' with Frosty way too much! I surely don't know which one of you is worse (better?).

So, when people find out you're a blacksmith, do they ask how you got that way?

Heh-heh. I got a million of 'em. Dat's my boy dat said dat...ha-chaaa-chaaa-cha.

I hang my angle grinders, die grinder, hand drill, broom, and dust pan on my brick wall from brackets made of used horseshoes welded together. They look and work nice for a 2 minute job each.

I have also made several wine racks, a door knocker, a flower sculpture, a steak/pigtail flipper, short bbq forks etc. from these. It is kind of gross when you think where the shoe has been, but you just have to tell yourself that the heat from the forge probably killed anything bad! The wine racks which I have given away and sold are painted. The steak flipper and forks I treated with baked/burnt on vegetable oil and have kept for personal use, I have yet to get sick.

Just some ideas,

Take care,

-Grant

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but at one time, most shoes were typically made from very low carbon steel so they would cold work easily. That characteristic makes them easier to forge than what passes for mild steel these days and also would probably make a good base material for damascus.