I Forge Iron

Slack Tub Swarms

I cut the top of an aluminium oxygen bottle and used it as a slack tub / quench bucket and never had Mozzie problems for years. However it was a bit on the small side and there was no way you could plunge your foot into it in the event of dropping a chunk on hot metal into your boot. I recently acquired a half wine barrel (hogs head) that measures up well for a slack tub. At the end of the day I put about a table spoon full of Kerosene in to prevent mozzies breeding as it is lighter than the water and creates a thin barrier on the water surface. It will eventually soaks into the wooden barrel, evaporates or coats the surface of my iron and need continual replacement. Wait - before you start saying I'm crazy putting flamable liquids in my slack tub, be mindful its in quantities that don't seem to have a flash point.
Like BackWoodsPuppy's barrel - it still reeks of wine.

• 1 month later...

Apple cider vinegar and Dawn dish soap. That is What we wash our dogs in too. Kills fleas and ticks real well and they won't come back. Just add some vinegar and a little soap. To your slack tub. It will not affect Your material either. And will make it smell better for a while anyway.
Always thought about those floating disk they sell too. But the vinegar works here in tenn. And I live by the river too. Plenty of skeeters around my parts.

• 4 weeks later...

Any standing water can breed swarms of mosquitoes, even your birdbath or rain barrel. Our Mosquito Control Rings contain Bt 'Israelenis,' a naturally occurring bacterium that kills mosquito larvae for a full 30 days. Each slow-release, floating Control Ring treats 100 square feet of surface area in your pond or water garden.

• Control mosquitoes naturally
  • Rings last for a month
  • Each ring treats 100 square feet

With all the diseases that skeeters carry now it would be a good idea NOT to leave a slack tub with water in it period! I know there has been water shortages all over the country but who in their right mind wants to endanger their family, neighbors and friends over some skeeter infested water setting in their forge? When in doubt dump it out every couple of days to stop the cycle of them laying eggs and them hatching out. There is no justification in chancing letting them reach maturity to go around spreading disease. :o