I Forge Iron

Gate project

Rosco

This is my first project that has multiple parts and will become part of some more or less permanent structure. It's a simple gate structure that will be hung from forged hinges, have forged ivy wrapped about and a triangular piece of dark red glass set into the center.

GATE-02.jpg

There are a few additional parts pictures in the Gallery.

Triquetra - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

Thanks Ian,

The welds were done with a torch. I find I can smooth them out a bit more (by adding flux) than I can my arc welds... controlling heat distortion is more of a problem though. I started metal working as a silversmith and still gravitate to the torch.

I made a fixture for bending the curves (probably should add a picture of it)... kind of a third of a wagon wheel looking thing that holds one end of the straight stock in place while you hammer the hot bar around the rim. I originally started with a big cast pulley as a fixture, but it sucked the heat out of the bar stock so quickly, I had to constantly reheat.

I've got a ways to go before it gets hung.

Ross J.

Pete,

Glad somebody asked that. The triquetra has been used by just about every culture on the planet for the past 3000 years, from Egypt to the Germanic and Celtic runestones of Northern Europe. For about the last 600 years they