I Forge Iron

how to make a round ball in a center of a 3/8 sqaue bar

Forge weld a collar of suitable size, depending on how big you want the feature to be, around the section where you want it, then use a top and bottom swage of the appropriate diameter to round it into a ball blending it into the main stock, usually you will get a round section at the junction that will undercut the square section slightly, emphasising the feature.

Or alternatively you could make up a ball tool to use under a power hammer if you have one.

Steve - I have a spring swage for a 1/2" mid-ball - which is for putting a 1/2" ball in the middle of a 1/2" round stock bar - one can be made for 3/8" easily and these can be used without a power hammer. - I'll bring it to the next meeting. - JK

The 1/2" midball will almost make a 1/2" ball on 3/8" square. Really close, being square there is almost enough material. You should try it with jeremy's swage and see how you like the result. Otherwise you'll want to make a 7/16" midball swage, that avoids getting too much extrusion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have made several different size spring swages made from ball bearing races. I use a wafer blade on the 4 1/2" angle to cut the race into the lengths that work for me--heat them up and almost flatten the pieces- leaving a slight curve on the working side. I have some dies made for my smithing magician and some for the anvil as spring tools. Oh yeah--you gotta weld the race pieces to the tools facing each other.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...