I Forge Iron

Anyone making gun parts?

I am a long way from having the skills to do any of this, but was wondering if the more skilled folks here have smithed any gun parts -- locks, hammers, springs, triggerguards, etc., primarily for muzzleloaders. I'm looking at schuetzen-style fingerlevers for a Martini, and am trying to imagine the steps for making such a piece.

I have made gun parts, but only for myself, I have in the works right now an underhammer musket that is made entirely from scratch (except the barrel, that I only had to thread for a breech plug) all the parts are hand filed and forged from scrap metal pieces found in the shop, and the stock is cut from a giant chunk of koa wood with a tiny handsaw.

A schuestzen style finger lever should not be too difficult, I would make a bending jig so you can knock out several of them, believe me you wont want to build just one gun or gun part its almost as addictive as blacksmithing itself.

Here it is still under construction, I have since made some thick plates to attach the breech to the action and close up the top of the action more, and am working on making a floorplate for the reciever, and I still need to do some work on the stock. keep in mind this isnt a traditional design its something I designed and built for myself wanting the fastest possible locktime I opted for an underhammer, but a traditional design would be just as easily done.

Edited to fix spelling.

15744.attach

15745.attach

Edited by mod07

I like under hammers, fine locks, I have made two plus one regular side flintlock and one box lock. Sometimes when I think about the guns that I built up over my youth I wonder where they are now and what sort of life they have had, what closet are they in or bed they are under? There was a great article in the magazine put out by the Nation Muzzle Loader Association that had an article by a blacksmith on how to build one. This was back in the 70's.:cool:

I make lots of gun parts, of the larger variety. My insurance agent knows it, he even came to my hammer-in to see what I do, with lots of people in my shop getting close to hot metal, etc. He loved it, and is a broker for Hartford and the ABANA insurance. They know what we do, including public demonstrations, and costs around $500.00 a year.

15726.attach

I make lots of gun parts, of the larger variety. .....

Jymm, I greatly admire you and your fine work, and have confidence that you are properly covered. The large fittings on the carriage are very unlikely to fail. However, I would be concerned about liability if a person was making parts for a hand-held pistol or rifle, or the "tube" for a canon for sale, as it appears that is when the liability concerns appear.