I Forge Iron

Hunting/Fishing/Outdoor competancy

Rick Barter

My uncle & cousin went hunting in northern Nevada years ago driving their little Mercury Bobcat. They spent the weekend hiking through some mountains and never saw a deer. On the way home they hit one square on. It rolled onto the hood, smashed the front windshield, crushed the roof as it went over, then broke the rear window as it came down the back. They had broken all its legs, so they got out and finished it off and dressed it out. They rode the rest of the way home crouched over looking through the small gap between the roof and dash board. The car ended up being a total loss. Pretty expensive deer.

When I was in the Marines, stationed at Camp Pendelton, one of my buds was driving his dads 60's vintage VW bus through the base one night and hit a large deer. The whole front of the bus was smashed in. The deer was on the side of the road thrashing about, so this guy from inner city LA grabbed his K-Bar out of his web gear in the back and figured he would cut its throat to put it down. He got out of the van and went walking towards it. Well that ol deer wasn't having any of it, and he jumped up and charged him horns down. My friend said he nearly soiled himself running for his life back to that van.

• 3 weeks later...

Three of us were bow hunting deer on a large farm. Well, I got kinda bored, so I decided to still hunt just a bit. I move very slowly, stopping and scanning a lot. I also knew where the other guys were, so I figured I just might be able to move some deer their way. Well, I work my way down a lane in the woods, and there is Rocky, up in his tree stand. I watch for awhile, to make sure I didn't spook anything he was watching. Well, he never saw me, and was not very vigilant. SO, I sneak up to the base of his tree, lay down my bow, and skinny up a small tree right next to him. I got as high as his feet, before he turned and saw me. BOY, did his eyes get big! See, ya gotta be alert when hunting! Ya never know what is gonna come down that trail.

Coyote Bob

In high school we used to float down the river on toobs . The cliffs along the river where not tall but they did inhibit your view . The only to get your bearings since we do not do this often enough to know the land marks along the bank was to climb one of the cliffs on the highway of the river. The cliff was only about 20 feet . I must have been uncharestically quiet as I climbed it .when I popped up over the edge I was looking the biggest Buck I ever saw square in the eyes . We both jumped tankfully in opposite directions .Needless to say we opted to float a little longer before trying to figure out where we were.
A.S.T.

Ivan went bow hunting for turkey, he was all camoflouged up and was behind a big bush along the Big Nemaha River and had been talking to a turkey with his turkey call when he decided to look around the bush as the turkey sounded very close. As he peeked around the bush with compound bow pulled back and an arrow nocked, he came face to face with a large deer, about a foot or two. He never did say whether a change of pants was necessary. LOL

Rick, I've read most of the posts and I have a question...are you familiar with a Mountain Man Rendezvous ? These events are really pretty neat to attend. I have smithed at a few. I'm invited to attend more next year. These events can be helpful in your learning a few things. Some stuff good safe stuff. Some, well, mebbe not so good but fun anyway ( lol ). Buckskinners events ( rondezvous etc ) can be a ball. The survival links are of course good stuff too. The Boy Scouts can be a really neat thing if you have kids or know folks that do ( and I do mean BOYS ). Heck, the Boy Scout Manual is good reading. You may know folks involved in scouting ( I mean leaders ). Black powder shooting is a fun thing. So is smokeless powder. So is hunting ( but I do precious little anymore nor fishing either ). I would dare say that the state you live in would be a paradise for outdoor fun. Just learning a few knots to tie is fun too.

I would also recomend looking into the Boy Scouts of America. Find your local troop and ask for a registration form to become a merit badge counselor. This will get you registered with a troop or council. You must have some sort of interest that you could help teach the boys. Everyone does. Then while teaching others you can learn from others as well. The Boy Scout manual, which I have a collection of dating back to 1934, is great reading. I have the armed forces survival manual and some of the chapters are almost word for word with the BSA manual. High adventure troops can get even more advanced in survival and self sufficient techniques. Others here have made some great suggestins as well. The first step has been taken. You asked. Now, walk on.
Gobbler

Here is a link to a lot of good survival information. EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE - Outdoors Gear, Survival Equipment Review & Survival Information

Which reminds me. Whenever I go hunting or walkabout, even if I know the land like the back of my hand, I always take some survival gear along. The basics are two pocket knives, waterproof match case, W/matches, whistle, and compass. Sometimes throwing in a space blanket, which is only the size of a small pack of kleenex. I aso take the small pack of Kleenex. I always wear a leather belt, which could if necessary, become a tournaquit[sp?], or sliced up into several strands, for tying whatever needs tying. I also always have a small pocket sized LED flashlight on me at all times. A couple of bandages in my wallet. And, as one fella suggested, a womans maxi pad makes a great addition to a first aid kit, as it is VERY absorbant. And along those lines, you should learn basic first aid. Presure and elevation for most wounds. Where to find the artery if that needs pressure to stop bleeding, etc. Geez, I am long winded this morning. :]

Coyote Forge and Survival School?
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I have a canvas outdoors vest, didn't cost much, lightweight with a mesh back for our desert temperatures; in the many pockets I have my survival items pretty much as Coyote Sore Belly Bob described, plus a whistle and a mirror, a magnesium "fire stick", and I carry it behind the seat in my pick up. When I stop someplace to take a hike around I slip the vest on and have all my gear. This was a tip from the Hunter Safety Class, and a good one.