I Forge Iron

Hunting/Fishing/Outdoor competancy

Rick Barter

I know some of you must hunt and spend times outdoors. I have never hunted. I've fished some, but not in a LONG time.

One of my grandfathers grew up in Maine and fished quite a bit. I think he hunted some too. My other grandfather definitely hunted, but I don't ever remember him doing so while I was alive. I always hoped that I would get the chance to have them show me some things, but it was not to be. They both passed away before I was old enough to ask to do those things.

Now that I live in Kentucky a bunch of people hunt and fish and I've been thinking that I definitely should learn to be self-sufficient in the outdoors. However, I have no clue how to get started. In this day and age, how does one go about learning these skills with no one around to teach them?

rvb

Wow...that's a tough one.

I was raised by an older generation who are all dead now. My parents were born late to my grandparents and so was I - my generational counterparts are in their late 60's. When I was a kid, my great uncle still lived on the farm that our family settled in the 1850's. I was extremely fortunate to do a lot that my sons have missed out on - even though we live in a semi-rural area. My grandpa and uncles fished and hunted with great frequency - we sometimes camped out for weeks when their work permitted.

Enough about me. If hunting and fishing are all you are interested in, there are books galore - but if I were you, I'd try some of the "mountain men" type organizations in your area for basic knowledge. Those are the ones most likely to deal with old ways of doing things and survival skills but not C-rations and machine guns. Of course, a lot is on the Internet and the Foxfire series of books are quite good. You could also ask around your community of new friends, most folks are willing to answer questions or even offer to take you on a hunt.

Some of it will depend on what you want to do. I completely process my own wild game (the hard work starts once the kill is made) but a lot of modern hunters don't do anything more than field dress then go to the commercial process plant. Case in point, my wife teaches 5-6th grade and had little "hunters" in class last year. She took some of my smoked sausage to school and described the process from animal to food product, then let them all eat some. Two of her boys who hunt regularly were amazed because their hunting experiences to that point hadn't included anything past field dressing. I do my own because I like to have quality control over the whole process (it shows in the eating) but it's not something that you have to master to enjoy yourself.

Have fun and enjoy yourself in the outdoors. It's a great opportunity to observe the works of our Creator and have a little peaceful time. Use common sense with the guns and such if you don't have a lot of trigger time but don't be intimidated either. Spend some time at a range or in the woods practicing so that part of the process becomes instinctive - you'll be glad when old Mossy Back steps out.

Thanks for the reply. I don't necessarily just want to hunt or fish. Heck, I'll just take pictures for all I care. I just want to learn how to be competant outdoors and, quite frankly, I think it's important to learn how to be self-sufficient.

That means knowing how to start a fire, knowing how to hunt and dress and cook game, knowing how to live outdoors. I guess I should have been in the boy scouts or gone into the military or something, but I just never did.

You mention 'moutain men' type organizations. What do you mean? It sounds like what I'm describing alright; Jerimiah Johnson and all that. Interesting to see the differences between the movie and the 'real' Johnson. I just read the book Crow Killer. Interesting.

I also saw a book at the store _How to sxxx in the Woods_. I may pick that up. Looks entertaining and fun.

rvb

The NMLRA is the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Assoc. It's like the NRA but aimed at black powder interests such as mountain man and survival skills, target shooting, rendevouz, etc. I don't know where you are located but there are 13 clubs listed in Kentucky. Some are probably only shooting clubs - you'd have to call to find out. The general info number is 812/667-5131 x224, ask for Roberta.

A very wise man once said
I dont hunt to kill
I hunt to have hunted.
The enjoyment of any persuit is the preperation.
At least half of the enjoyment derived from camping is the preperation of getting ready to camp
The shopping/purchasing the equipment , clothes , food, planning the route or trail learning to read a compass cook over an open fire etc.

Rick, you have hit on my area of expertise, or at least an area that I am somewhat knowledgable and confident in. A few years ago, I picked up the SAS Survival Handbook, written by John Wiseman, an ex-member of the Special Air Service, a unit of the British Army. I've pretty much read it cover to cover and it goes over what you need to know to survive in a variety of climates and conditions. A few examples of the contents are:

Where to find water
Edible plants and fungi
Making traps and snares
How to find, hunt, and prepare game
Catching fish
Building shelters and establishing a camp
Starting a fire
Rope and knots
Using Nature to find North
detailed First-Aid and CPR
Survival at Sea
How to survive a natural, or un-natural disaster (floods, tornados, fire, nuclear explosions, etc.)
How to survive if trapped in or around your own house

This book is extremely useful if you want to learn how to live off the land. I've been trying to plan a camping trip with a friend for sometime in August, where we will go out into the woods, and stay there for a weekend with no tent, some snack foods (crackers and granola bars) and the contents of my survival kit, which are:

100' of Clothesline
a spool of fishing line
fishing hooks
a first-aid kit
a survival knife
a compass
some very thin wire for snares
matches
a container of seasonings
a machete
a hatchet
a small notebook and a few pens and pencils

All of this equipment, with the exception of the knife and the hatchet were purchased at Walmart.

This all stays in a backpack in my car, with the exception of the hatchet and the machete. If I break down or get horribly lost in an area without human contact, and no cell phone service, I have what I need to keep going until the next day. Or if I REALLY get into trouble, I can keep myself going for as long as I need to.

Unfortunatly, too much land is now privately owned or protected, and it is illegal to stay overnight, nevermind a weekend, or week on it.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them, I'm definatly not a professional survivalist, but I will try my best to help

A very wise man once said
I dont hunt to kill
I hunt to have hunted.
The enjoyment of any persuit is the preperation.
At least half of the enjoyment derived from camping is the preperation of getting ready to camp
The shopping/purchasing the equipment , clothes , food, planning the route or trail learning to read a compass cook over an open fire etc.

Hey, Mike. Thanks for chiming in. BTW, I've still got those forge sketches you sent me awhile ago and am very close to building my own modified version. I am also in the process of figuring out how much stovepipe I need for my chimney and will order it soon. I'll get some sketches and pictures up showing the process. I'll probably make a couple of blueprints.

I really liked the pictures you posted of your anvil stands. I like the 3 sided design. I will probably be doing something like that too.

Rick, you've picked a fine new field to learn, one that will give you a lot of satisfaction and fun. I've hunted all my life, and spent a fair amount of time photographing wildlife in my off time.

A quick way to start is to check with your local Fish and Game department, and find out when/where hunter safety classes are offered. While these tend to focus on youngsters, you would be surprised at the practical content, not only in firearms safety, but also in tracking and survival. Cost is generally dirt cheap too. I took one out of curiosity 5 or 6 years ago and it cost me $10 for the six weeks (one or two nights per week), and an all day field trip. Besides, it was really fun to watch the kids learn. A lot of Dads and some Moms take the classes with their kids so adults are not out of place.

Enjoy!

One of many places to look would be chapters of the National Wild Turkey Federation- Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation- Quails Unlimited-Pheaseants Forever- There are many chapters that have many educational opportunitiesf or people. Your Wildlife or Conservation Dept of the State Government would point you in the right direction. Mike

RICK--You are showing the signs of some one wanting to experience an adventure. This is the same the thing that pushed our Western border all the way to the Pacific ocean. Nothing new about this.

I have been problemed with the same feelings for the entire span of my life.
The first and foremost thought to carry with you. At all times when studying, learning, and putting to use. Your new skills are to be tempered with your own common sense. Remember that the strongest card in your deck is common sense. Keep in mind that some of the so called Gurus of the wild will over load you with hype. You can learn from everyone of them but you will need to keep your own counsel on what is probable and feasible.

I have hunted and fished all my life. I have been caught out in horrible weather. Capsized canoes in bad water. Been in the Pine forested mountains when a fire isolated us. Got out of that one by finding a mountain meadow wide enough to keep the fire away from us. The meadow eventually burned, but we were able to move around on it, till we could cross back over the burned out area. Close, but common sense got us out of that one.

I take several of the outdoor magazines. I like the OUTDOOR LIFE real well. In this months issue(AUG) there is an article on survival. I just glanced at it but will read it tonight.

Good luck--Good commom sense to you.

P.S. The list of survival equiptment above is good. Add to that a colored book of edible plants.

Chuck

I got started with cub scouts and boy scouts. Did a lot of reading and tried to put those skills to use as I wandered around the woods. Pretty much had to learn to hunt on my own. Good shooting skills are very important, but not so good if you get lost! There are many skills that go hand in hand in the enjoyment of the outdoors. The more skills and confidence you have, the more enjoyable your outings will be. I practice shooting, I do flintknapping and other primitive skills, I butcher my own game. I usually hunt alone. I like to be alone in the woods. Good compass skills, and generally orientiering skills are important. Always look behind you as you walk, as the scene looking one way can be very different and confusing to you coming back, if you haven't looked. Watch the sun, and use that as a guide. Look at the lay of the land, which way the ridges run. I usually just wander around, sometimes on trails, sometimes not. I like to explore, and do not usually walk in a straight line. Instead of going around a thicket, I quite often just go thru it. But that is just me. :] I got a lot of good lessons from some of the people I flintknapp with. That is where I learned to make fire with flint and steel or a bow drill. I have also learned other methods of making fire. But I ALWAYS carry matches in a water proof match case, and I don't even smoke. The boy scout motto was -Be Prepared. Good advice.

I know this is quite rambling, but that is the way I am. But get with shooters, and start asking questions, and you should start to find people that can teach you the things you want to learn. Ellen's advice about the hunter safety class was spot on. And hey, welcome to the fold! And like previously mentioned, hunting is not always about bringing home game. It is another way to enjoy the outdoors, and get off the couch. I often let rabbits run by me, just to let my beagle mix chase them. That is part of the fun.

Bob H.

I am a man, therefore I am primitive.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I'll tell a short hunting story if y'all will bear with me. In Texas, almost all land is privately owned but the state has a lottery system for many types of hunting. I was picked one year to hunt on a wildlife preserve that was closed for many years so the game could be managed. This hunt was only for wild hogs using handguns - the exceptions in this case being non-game animals, such as coyotes. These hunts usually last for 3 days so you have to get in quickly, map out the area and get to hunting. My two companions and I were given a 600 acre patch and turned loose.

This was late October, before regular gun season but a front had come through and it was crisp in South Texas - about 40 and clear with the temps dropping. Late on the first day, I sat on a "sendero" (dirt road) - waiting for a hog to cross. Imagine my surprise when a very nice buck stepped out about 50 yds away and started meandering toward me. I was sitting on a camp stool with a .44 on my hip but could not shoot since deer were not allowed so I chose to remain still and see what happened. The air was quiet with no breeze, the buck worked his way along the road and never saw me. When he was about 15 feet away, I couldn't stand the suspense any longer so I stood up, waved my hands and yelled. The deer jumped straight up about 8 feet and looked a lot like a cartoon character, with feet going all directions. I stood there alone dying with laughter and could still hearing him smashing through the brush five minutes later - I doubt he stopped until the next county.

The funny thing is that payback came a hour or so later, right before dark. This place was loaded with coyotes and they started yipping a few minutes before sundown. I was still on my stool waiting for something, when a loud snarl came from the brush immediately behind me. Apparently, a coyote had been wandering around close by and walked right up on me without knowing I was there. My hair stood on end and I got the urge to clean my pants, so I picked up my stool and left - it was too dark to see the sights anyway. I figured the Lord didn't like me playing a joke on that deer so He figured a way to fix my little red wagon...

HW, thanks for sharing! Made me laugh. See, that is what happens when you go hunting instead of sitting on the couch. You don't get that kind of adreanaline rush sitting on a couch, nor that warm feeling in the seat of your pants either! :]

Bob

Great advice, everyone. And great story, HW! :) I plan to see if I can't get out there as the weather cools down a bit this year. In the meantime I have more reading to do!

I just want to say that it's really nice to buy books on blacksmithing, the outdoors, etc. instead of buying all the computer books like I have been through the years! It's nice to shift gears. :D

Rick,
The NMLRA holds a big event twice a year in Friendship Indiana. One in the spring and one in the fall,plus several other events through the year. A quick look at thier web site (NMLRA.ORG)shows the nationals to be in September.
I am not a blackpowder enthusiast nor a member but my wife and I travel down to friendship fpr the national shoot every year. It is educational, very interesting and a nice ride down and back. There is also a big flea market that sells any kind of outdoor equipment, Modern and primative that a man could want.
I would highly recommend it to anyone.

JWB

RICk- After a lifetime of hunting and fishing. We have enough storys to fill a small book. The best place to hear these stories, is around a table or campfire after a long day of hunting or fishing.

You need get busy so you can compile your own and the best of the Numb-heads you will hunt with. Believe me everybody sometime or another will pull a numb-head stunt and the good ole boys you hunt with, will make sure this thing never, ever dies.GRIN

I once kicked a male bear in the crotch(deadcenter, hard). This was over a pile of lunch meat and the trimmings for a lunch snack. I was young and the bear was not paying enough attention to who was behind him. He did not stick around to tear me up. Thank goodness.GRIN

Chuck

A friend of mine was still hunting thru a cornfield. Move slow, peek up and down the next row, then step into that one and repeat. He saw a doe, and decided he would back up, move down near the doe, then jump out in front of her. Well, he did, and that deer jumped up in the air, about 3 feet from him. It was almost trying to go in all directions at once, it was so scared. And he realized, that had it gone into him with those hoofs and all, he would have been badly busted up. He will never do that again.

When I was younger, bow hunting on the ground, the morning was so dark and foggy, I could not see the hand in front of my face. Then, a LOUD SCREAM breaks out, nearby, maybe a hundred yards away. The SCREAM continues on, sounding like a long winded woman being stabbed with a knife. The hair stands up on the back of my neck, I am so scared, I want to run away. But it is dark, I have an arrow I can't see to aim, and the scream is in the direction of my truck. The SCREAM goes up and down in volume, then dies out. Then I hear little sticks breaking, and leaves rustling. Still can't see a darn thing. Heart is beating, adreaniline is up, don't know what to do. Turns out, that is what a bobcat sounds like. But I did not know that, and boy, I will never forget that hunt!

I'm a big fan of the great outdoors, always have been in fact and one of the lovliest places in the UK is the area around Loch Lomond in Scotland....
Myself and a good friend of mine were pottering around the eastern side of the loch in my mates old Landrover (a 4x4 jeep type vehicle). This thing was built like the proverbial tank and it had a huge steel framed luggage rack on the roof that all our camping gear was lashed onto. We intended to drive up to the hotel thats at the end of the road on that side of the lake and then hike/camp around the 15 miles of the shore where there isn't any road. It was getting towards dusk and we were in serious need of a pint so my mate Roy was being a tad heavy with the old right boot. As we came leaping over the brow of a small hill doing around seventy miles an hour the spotlamps lit up a HUGE Deer smack bang in the centre of the road. Cue pandemonium as old Roy tried to both brake, avoid the Deer, and convert to Allah, Odin or any Deity who could magically remove the 200lb roadblock in front of us.
Needless to say none of them did and we hit the unfortunate animal at about 50 mph with an almighty bang! Both of us had instinctively ducked (images of sharp pointy antlers coming through the windscreen will do that for you) and when we sheepishly stuck our heads out for a look there was no sign of the Deer at all in the road in front of us. Nor, when we got out to look, was there any sign of it behind us either. Now they come pretty tough in Scotland but both of us could see the huge dent in the Landrovers bull bar and we were certain that the said Deer must surely now be very much an ex-deer. We looked through all the hedgerows for a hundred feet in all directions, there was nothing, no blood trails, no tufts of fur, no tracks, our Deer had simply vanished.... or so we thought.

Thoroughly perplexed and slighty perturbed we set off again for the hotel, now in need of somthing a little stronger than a beer. About ten minutes later just as we were pulling into the Hotel car park all hell broke loose from the roof of the Range Rover. Bambi's bigger brother, it seems, had been thrown into the air all right, and had landed smack bang in the roof rack of the 4x4. Out like a light.
The breeze as we continued must have helped revive him some because he was now well and truly awake, and well and truly browned off at :
a) Being run over by a couple of Halfwits from Yorkshire, and
B) being stuck in a roof rack among all our camping gear.

We just stood there in awe with our jaws hanging open as he completley trashed the roof rack and all our gear before eventually bouncing off the bonnet with a mad glint in his eyes. Both of us legged it into the Hotel to watch what the mad Moose would do next. After eyeing up the Range Rover he finally seemed satisfied that there wasn't anyone he could actually KILL for causing all his woes and stalked off into the woods, never to be seen by us again.

The Scotsman who owned the place had joined us at the window by then... his dry remark capped it for us.

"Yea did'nae hit 'im hard enough then boys?