I Forge Iron

Ideas on fixing a metal pen?

Ok. Here's one for y'all.

I have a very expensive pen I got as a gift. It is a much prized pen. I always have it handy. It is gold and stainless braided line (like from fuel lines). It seems to be all metal inside and out.

I've had it for about 6 years and one of the ink refill cartridges leaked inside the top of the pen. It clicks to pop the ball point out and then another click to retract it. Well, the ink leaked all up in the top and now it has barely any movement. It no longer clicks, but slides into place as if through mud. It also does not retract on its own. It's all gummed up.

I tried pipe cleaners, but to no avail. I was thinking of popping it in the oven to vaporize the ink, but I'm not sure if this is feasible. So, does anyone have any ideas for restoring this to working order without destroying the pen???

Your help is very much appreciated.

rvb

As long as it doesn't have any lacquer finish on it, I'd try a soak in WD-40 fort a few hours. That stuff will pretty much dissolve most things like ink if left on it for a while. After the soak, a couple of rinses with some mineral spirits and then let it air dry. Should work.

I would definitely not use the oven. You may find that there was a plastic retractor piece inside it thatr didn't like the heat too much. :-(

I agree - start mild and use progressively stronger solvents. In fact, I would start with soaking in Windex or household ammonia before going to anything else. Most inks started with a water base and will react to some degree with fresh water. Sharpies are the exception but that's not what you have.

My humble opinion. Try some brake parts cleaner or mebbe some carb cleaner. Wear safety glasses and old clothes. You may soak after spraying. the fellas may be right, may have a laquer finish so be careful. Once you get the ink softened up and moving, blast the inside with the pressurized aerosol of the cleaner( s ). Electronics parts cleaner may work too. you MAY have to clean with a patch like a muzzleloader ( use a straightened out paper clip maybe). Be careful with the plastic. Actually, Hot water may do the trick. good luck. Cascade automatic dishwasher soap is excellent for soaking stuff in for stain removal or crud removal but this case might not be the one to use it on. Jim, I got no kids left at home to blame the stains inside the dishwasher on. :)

Vinegar is strong enough to etch the metal on your pen, but probably will not touch the dried on ink inside there. I suggest taking the pen apart, removing any plastic parts, then soaking in solvent. Acetone would get the ink right off, but if there is any kind of clear lacquer finish on the the pen it would remove that also.

Thanks for the help everyone. I wish I could have taken the pen totally apart without destroying it. Alas, it had pressed in ferrules at each end and no way to unscrew them. So, you can probably guess what's coming next.

Yup. I destroyed it. Well, systematically demolished it. I'll try and get some pictures, but there were plenty of plastic parts in it that would have melted in the oven. They do still make the pen, but it's very expensive and was a gift.

It's too bad, really. I loved that pen.

Some pics of the pen and a hoof pick I made are here: http://69.64.3.31/~rvb01/blacksmith/pics/dropbox/

The hoof pic is a bit too long and too pointy for the intended user. Also, it doesn't really look like a horse head. But, I think I did pretty good for the first try just using a small hold-down on my anvil. I'll try and rework it.

rubbing alcohol is best i use it when cleaning and servicing printers. I would soak it for a little while then flush it with more clean alcohol. It will loosen up the ink without damaging any of the parts of the pin. be prepared for it to be messey ware some gloves the ink has a habit of geting every ware.

For future reference, I guess, but there are ink solvents out there that calligraphers use to clean their pen nibs. I don't know if it would work as well with a pen like yours, but it may be worth a shot.

Thanks, Nick. I will keep that in mind for the future. It didn't occur to me. I probably should have sought out someone with experience fixing high-end pens and the like before I just took a crack at it myself. But, you know what they say...Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Or is that lost in this case ;)

I'm a fountain pen geek. I'd try warm moving water, or a water bath before anything. WD-40 causes pitting, and vinegar can etch metal. I use Private Reserve inks with my pen, and I've spilled on the pen and me a few times. Water seems to clean the pen a lot better than my hands. :)

Jeff