I Forge Iron

52100 as a blade steel?

Charlotte

How does 52100 compair to other alloy steels as a blade steel for edge holding, appearence, and ease of working? I've noticed that it seems less popular than some of the other steels of similiar composition.

It compositon with approx 1% carbon and 1.4 % chromium would seem to make it more popular. Is it hard to heat treat or forge or is it just not very pretty when finished?

• 2 weeks later...

i use this often but it is really hard to work by hand and i stary with new 3/4 round stock
and it eats up grinder belts even when anealed after you harden it dont drop it before tempering it will shatter in to glass like fragments but it dose produce a nice blade if done right and this steel is NOT forgiveing if you messup over heat or hit to cold the peice is ruined

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...

maybe i'm just weird, but i used a car bearing race to make a nice knife blank, one of the first things i *tried to* make.  Seemed easy to work with, I split it with a bolt cutter while it was hot then hammered it to shape.  I dunked it in water, and then promptly snapped it in half with 2 fingers.  learned my lesson there.....

• 2 weeks later...

I stack large spherical roller bearings next to my American Star anvil.   Keeps the anvil on good behavior, it does want to be pounded on via 52100.

enhance

A side note:   For the machine shop, a large bearing stripped to the outer race makes a nice round parallel for set up on the vertical milling machine table, as the sides of the race are ground parallel.

A large outer race is also handy for tramming the mill spindle.