I Forge Iron

Dog Spikes/Rail Road Spikes.

Recently our group was fortunate enough to be given a considerable number of Dog Spikes in two different sizes. I'm seeking ideas, apart from knives, letter openers and tomahawk axe heads, on other things that can be made from Dog Spikes. If anyone can post any photos of unusual things that they've made from Spikes, that would be great and also much appreciated. I'm planning on making some wall hooks out of Spikes. I've got a rough idea in my head about how I might go about making them. Any help as usual will be appreciated. Regards, Brian.

Put a twist on the "handle" as if making a knife. Then draw the rest of the spike out to 20" (500 mm) or so and put a hook on the end, great for turning stakes on the barbie. Hook needs to be 90 degrees to the side to work best.

Two spikes can be used to make a pair of tongs for the forge, or ice tongs for ice bucket at the barbie.

Wall hooks and a business card holder. Drill holes to mount the hooks on the wall or mount several on a nice piece of wood for a coat/hat rack. Draw out the spikes and weld together to get the length you need to make fire tools. Use spikes as the legs for trivets. Draw three out to the same length, about the height of the arm on a chair, use as legs for a trivet or plate, and you have a nice chair side table to put your beer on. :D

267.attach

268.attach

269.attach

Brian, The information you have just received was posted on the BAWA (Blacksmith Association of Western Australia) Groups Forum hosted by IForgeIron. That means your local group got world wide exposure, your question got world wide exposure, and you got the answer from places other than Austrailia you could not have reached otherwise.

Did you see that 142 prople have looked at your question to date? Many more will view the thread as reference when they look for dog spike / rail road spike projects in the future.

The system works. :)
Thank you for using IForgeIron.

The IForgeIron Groups forum is open to any Blacksmithing group that needs a forum for their group. It will allow for the exchange of information within your group, as well as world wide exposure for your group. Contact me for information of how to set it up.

G'day Bill, those spike people look fantastic. They look like they might take a bit more skill to make than my present skill level. Really well done. Have you any idea how long it takes you to make one of those? Most impressive! Thanks for that.
Regards, Brian.

Crackers, Thanks! The basic men (no arms) take about 30-45 minutes depending on the type of hat they get. If I add arms, it takes another 30 min.or so. The tools for them add some time also.I don't know about the skill level, some of those guys are pretty ugly!

Bill D.

• 1 year later...