I Forge Iron

Forge for a nephew

Pault17

I am in the process of building a bigger than mini gas forge for a nephew that has expressed an interest in banging iron. I have already given him a little 2-pounder cross pein and a set of channel-locks (I didn't have any tongs readily available). He managed to scrounge up a short chunk or RR rail and a bench vise.

The forge is a section of 6-inch really heavy wall pipe cut off of a section of parking bollard (those pipes stuck in the ground at wally world) with 1/8 inch plate on the front and rear. I welded a piece of 2-inch angle on front and back to create a shelf, as well as to allow the forge to be rested on stacked CMU's. The pipe is lined with one inch of ceramic batting, coated with 2 layers of satanite and one of itc-100. I specifically designed the forge for use with the bernzomatic JTH7 or similar. The bottom is lined with 1-inch firebrick.

I also fabbed up a portable stand from some 1-1/4 light-gauge square tubing so the thing is stout but reasonably portable. on the main tube I put a ring and stand that will hold a "coleman" style stubby 1-lb bottle of propane.

I am bringing it up to him this weekend, hopefully, along with a small collection of random length 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8.

I know it's not a thing of beauty or art, but it works. I even warned his parents about it a little:D

As soon as I download 'em, I will post pics

Edited by Pault17
typpe-ooohs

I've actually had the safety talks with him. die had Sin over the house several times to work in the smithy. I just haven't told him about the forge as yet.

Here are a few pics: components, partially assembled, forge, almost ready to burn.
Crude, I know

15052.attach

15053.attach

15054.attach

15055.attach