I Forge Iron

What works best to free rusted parts

I have always had good luck with soaking things in burned motor oil for a month or so.
That being said... I had issue with my brake drums earlier this month. Penetrating oil, heat, and hammer taps did not work. Because I had a broken lug in the brake housing, I had decided to just replace the drums if they broke. I then applied my grandfather's advice and used a bigger hammer. 18 lbs and a full swing. The drums came off as pretty as you please and did not break!:D

I've used PB, Kroil, liquid wrench as well.

My non-scientific testing has shown me that the acetone/ATF mixture that I posted above works better than any of them. The tests I linked to above were orginally run by Machinist's Workshop magazine. I don't know how well the rusty parts were setup of course, so their tests may have been very skewed.

One example from personal use: I bought a sandstone grinding wheel from a junkyard. It looked like it had sat out in the rain/sun for countless years. Someone had previously had a metal frame around it that was bolted together. Rust was caked over everything. I hit it with the acetone/atf mix and then let it sit for half an hour or so. When I went to pull it apart, the nuts spun off the bolts using a box wrench, just as though I had just put them on.

Re my WI find: actually it was such high grade stuff that a knifemaker didn't like it as it didn't have enough "character" he wanted the old cruddy wagon tyre stuff!

I suggested he heat it up and twist it to get more character in the etch. Don't know if he tried that.

BTW should I mention that the 100+' was *free*? They were getting ready to bulldoze down the 1880's adobe house that cistern was built for and they told me I could have the rod if I wanted it...

Oil of wintergreen on rusted nuts is what we used on firemain piping on ships. There's probably better stuff now.

ATF fluid always feels extra slippery and I can imagine the acetone is a good cutback.

Excelsior,

Ted

For freeing stuck/ seized threads, I use light oil 3 in 1 what have you, and whack it with a hammer, like to soak for as long as possible. I like to give the bolt head oor nut a good tap wit a hammer to assist loosening and penetration. Also like to apply heat, as much as possible!! Not enought to melt steel, but enough to make the steel threads in question " creep", basically use the co-effecient of expansion to get the threads unseized.

I live in the northeast, so get peices of WI that have been in or around the ocean for 125 years. I have started with a 1 inch rod, and ended up with a 1/4 inch rod after the "puff rust" came off in the forge. I have also seen cheap Stainless corrode quickly (months to failure) in the salt water, pretty entertaining!

Acetone and atf mmm that sounds like a winner.

I had a blower that I used ALL the most popular treatments on over a period of time, about 2 weeks. Then a friend recommended alcohol and dry ice. Set it in a cooler and dumped the dry ice over it then poured enough alcohol to physically contact the small internal parts. 6 hours and it cranked as soon as I grabbed the handle. WD 40 in all the crevices to displace latent water as it rewarmed.

Rust Reaper uses oil of wintergreen, it's available here.

I use the heat and cool method. Get it darn hot and quench as quickly as possible. There is a chemical reaction that gets rid of the rust. Nobody has mentioned straight water yet. It will "soften" rust, believe it or not. Next time you have a pair of pliers or tongs that are really stiff, swish them in the slack tub and work them back and forth, and keep dipping as needed. In a about a half a minute, they will usually move like new. Try it before you doubt it. As a chemist friend told me, why try to shove some huge fancy chemical chain into a crevice when water is one of the smallest compounds out there.