I Forge Iron

Galvanized pipe & Hydrochloric acid

Stroyeror

"was galvanized with what looks to be a coating of black paint"

I am not sure of what you have, galvanising is a hot treatment that will leave a gray, or a dull silver look to the metal. black paint is paint.

It sounds as if you bought black pipe which has a phospate coating and then some times a clear coat on that. will you be forging it? Then bring to a low red and brush it then continue on. Many times I don't brush.

a quick dip in Muriatic acid will fizz almost instantly if any galv is lurking in there. If it does fizz let it stay in there until it stops.

As for the paint it will just sort of roll off from a short time acid dip. I presoak all my shipping straps in muriatic to remove paint and any rust before stacking into a billet.

Maybe someone with a better memory of school boy chemistry will correct me but I suspect the chemical reaction between the zinc in the gal and the hydrochloric acid may produce hydrogen gas, which would not be a good thing around and ignition source.

I'd just build a little camp fire in the back yard and throw it it. Answers all the questions and gets it used to its new life. Question what size is it? I've been haveing trouble finding black Iron in large sizes on the local market.

1" X 36" Black steel pipe

^ thats whats on the label. Bought it from lowe's

If the staff in the big stores over there are anything like here in Aus, most of them wouldn't know their ass from their elbow, and exert ten times the effort hiding from customers than they do helping. I guess it has something to do with the pay scale.