I Forge Iron

new blacksmith-Peterborough Ont.

Hello All,
im jsut getting into blacksmithing, im located in Peterborough Ontario. i have been on this site reading/getting excited and am eager to set up my forge and get to work. yesterday i purchased a Vucan 200# anvil and some hammers, i have been collecting scrape steel for about a month. im almost ready to get going but im still in the market for a forge/blower (i may build my own forge if i can find a decent blower) and some tongs if anybody has some leads please let me know ill be more then willing to pick up stuff in southern Ontario for a fair price. i am also planning on going to Lang Pioneer Village in July for demonstrations etc. maybe ill see some of you there.
cheers,

check out the David Robertson artist blacksmith website. he offers a course on how to build a propane forge. you wont likely find a better price for a prop forge but you'll also know how to build your own. i took the course and i am very happy with my propane forge. if you want tongs and are just starting out vice grips will do the trick. or you could check out Professional farrier supply.... or i could make you what you need.

making tongs for yourself are a great start into blacksmithing. they really are not too hard to do.

if rebar gives you a hard time dont ge too flustered. it is not very good material but better than nothing! if you want to go on the cheap side for your first set old coil springs will do pretty good just anneal the tongs when finished forging i would sugggest you dont quench them as they may take a really high HrC depending on what they are made of.

have fun with them, search this site there are alot of different ways listed on how to make them.

It's hard to beat the old brake drum forge with a bathroom fan for the blower to get you started. Check out the blueprints section, I think they still have the plans for on here on Iforgiron. I recently built one for a buddy of mine and it works great. Lump charcoal will get you going and a bag or 2 of the good stuff from Thak the Blacksmith in Floradale will get you really hooked. My best advice, check out the OABA meetings and yo will always find someone with a forge or parts to make one.