I Forge Iron

I like to reuse cling or recycling

I've heard of adding slag back into bloomery furnaces to act as a flux but I can't see any benefit to adding it back to a forge, unless you're allowing the slag to build up to such an extent that when you do finally drag it out it's stuck to a bunch of coke. Slag is basically dirty glass. Glass does not burn.

Steve - All your doing is adding the garbage(clinker) that would not burn from your previous fire, to the next one[as Glenn say's it can be rock,sand,and or whatever is mixed in with the coal that doesn't burn]. This is not helping you at all, because it is taking up the space that the fresh coal or coke should be in to burn. It may seem like it's burning up as you say but it's really filling your ash dump quicker and probably choking off the air supply. You may not be using as much coal or coke because the fire is not burning as it should, and most likely you've noticed that it is not as hot as it should be. Again this is due to the "lack" of fuel to burn because of the garbage(clinker). The goal Steve is to keep the clinker down to a minimum. Sometimes during long periods of forging the firepot needs to be cleaned out periodically of the clinker - this is dependant on the quality of coal you are using. I hope this helps you understand a bit on what the clinker actually is. Have fun forging Steve. - JK

Edited by jeremy k

Is it possible that you are burning the bits of unburnt coke that have stuck to the clinker?

I suppose this means you will eventually burn 100% of the fuel you put in, but I would think the increased mess, blockage and heat absorbtion out weighs this.

it must take up extra fuel to heat all that clinker up.