I Forge Iron

Finally Finished!! My Nagi-Dachi Tachi

JPH

Finally after more than 18 months I got my Nagi0Dachi Tachi finished to where I am no longer ashamed to show it ensuite with the siya.

The blade...34" kobuse construction using 1095 mixed with refined meteorite and wrought iron. THe laminate is then wrapped around a wrought iron core and then finished forged.

The two Bo-Hi are hand scraped with the Naginata Hi being the biggest PITA . Straight (sugaha) Hamon, as this was the most "effective" visiaully on a "working blade".

Tsuka is in a "bat" themed motiff. Blued steel tsuba, fuchi and kashira. Tsuka length is 15"..

The Tsuka is covered with tiger ray Samegawa and black and gold silk ito. A silver and blued steel twin bat menuki is under the ito.

Overall length is 50"

The Siya is covered on the top third by matching tiger ray samegawa with a horn Koiguchi and a horn "ferrule" that makes the transition from the ray skin to the black lacquer over the gold leaf. The gold leaf process I finally figured out after numerous failures. A horn kojiri brings it all to an end...

Hope these photos work... I got a new "state of the art" Sony camera and I dunno...still they have to be better than my old one...

All in all this one finally is where I like it..

JPH

14696.attach

14697.attach

14698.attach

14699.attach

Frosty: Ok I will give it a shot..what parts do you wanta C/U of?? let me know...I am still trying to figure out how to use this camera so it will be a "learning experience" for me...

JPH

Steve:

All I really did was make some really expensive 1055...I think it turned out OK..still I wish I had the skills to do what the Malay Empus do with what they have to work with when it comes to meteorite iron.. Some of the Keris I have seen are just fantastic...

JPH

• 10 months later...

Hello:
I am glad ya all like it but this one isn't nothing compared to what I am turning out now....And now that I am done with the Japanese section on book IV I ain't making any more...

JPH

• 1 month later...