JPH

Finally Finished!! My Nagi-Dachi Tachi

Finally after more than 18 months I got my Nagi0Dachi Tachi finished to where I am no longer ashamed to show it ensuite with the siya.

The blade...34" kobuse construction using 1095 mixed with refined meteorite and wrought iron. THe laminate is then wrapped around a wrought iron core and then finished forged.

The two Bo-Hi are hand scraped with the Naginata Hi being the biggest PITA . Straight (sugaha) Hamon, as this was the most "effective" visiaully on a "working blade".

Tsuka is in a "bat" themed motiff. Blued steel tsuba, fuchi and kashira. Tsuka length is 15"..

The Tsuka is covered with tiger ray Samegawa and black and gold silk ito. A silver and blued steel twin bat menuki is under the ito.

Overall length is 50"

The Siya is covered on the top third by matching tiger ray samegawa with a horn Koiguchi and a horn "ferrule" that makes the transition from the ray skin to the black lacquer over the gold leaf. The gold leaf process I finally figured out after numerous failures. A horn kojiri brings it all to an end...

Hope these photos work... I got a new "state of the art" Sony camera and I dunno...still they have to be better than my old one...

All in all this one finally is where I like it..

JPH

14696.attach

14697.attach

14698.attach

14699.attach

I like it too.

Can you get a closer shot of the blade please?

Frosty

ouch!!...my jaw just hit the floor! well done, love the "scaberd" truely awsome.

That is one beautifully crafted and impressive stick whittler. You should be unashamedly proud.

Jim!! When I grow up I wanna be just like you. On second thought...........

Finnr

Dang Jim, that's a nice 'un.

And kudos on the new camera. Your blades deserve good photography.

Thanks for posting it.

Don

Frosty: Ok I will give it a shot..what parts do you wanta C/U of?? let me know...I am still trying to figure out how to use this camera so it will be a "learning experience" for me...

JPH

Ok Here goes...

close up of the blade...

Hope this turns out..the Hada and Hamon are visible but the blade is not in any way in a "show" polish

JPH

14729.attach

Steve:

All I really did was make some really expensive 1055...I think it turned out OK..still I wish I had the skills to do what the Malay Empus do with what they have to work with when it comes to meteorite iron.. Some of the Keris I have seen are just fantastic...

JPH

If you think about it the most advanced, close to perfect thing humans have ever done is just highly refined dirt.

So, say what you will it's a beauty.

Frosty

I just joined this site today and ive already learned to keep an eye out for you work, Very beautifull sword!

You should do this for a living, Jim.biggrin.gif Seriously, truly a beauty!!

how beautiful!! my jaw also on the floor - cant imagine how long that has taken you. RESPECT! :)

Hello:
I am glad ya all like it but this one isn't nothing compared to what I am turning out now....And now that I am done with the Japanese section on book IV I ain't making any more...

JPH