I Forge Iron

Hello from Georgetown, TX USA

frieed

So this spring I took a single day class on blacksmithing and got the bug. (for anyone in central Texas I highly recommend Caleb at Homestead Heritage School of Homesteading)
I have a small propane forge (thanks Larry Zoeller) that I built, borrowed a decent little farriers anvil, and am now scrounging for hammers and such.
First off, I intend to make various tongs and a scroll work jig. For my first real project I intend to start making some fence panels to replace some of the effective-but-ugly ones around the house.
Suggestions are appreciated particularly from anyone local that could impart them first-hand in return for a little refreshment. In the meantime I intend to devour everything I can from the forums. Thanks for the input folks.

Eric

Welcome aboard Eric, glad to have ya.

Sounds like you're off to a roaring start. Good for you. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to start building fires and beating steel.

Start haunting garage/yard/etc. sales, flea markets, 2nd. hand shops, etc. and pick up whatever smooth faced hammers you find for a buck or two. Ball peins are especially handy as they're easy to reforge to whatever pein shape you need. They also make good top tools with a little different heat treatment.

The pics are of a straight pein I made from a found ball pein.

Cross pein hammers are very common as they're still in every day use unlike most blacksmith's hammers. Another of my favorites is a drilling hammer in the 2-3lb range. These have a short handle, small face and good weight so you get good effect with good accuracy. I use mine for work that still needs a lot of movement but needs to be precise.

Sledge hammers are always handy but you have to take it real easy on small anvils you can break them with a sledge.

A single jack sledge is probably going to be more useful and safer for the anvil.

Anyway, the world is full of hammers it's what you do with them that counts.

Frosty

14674.attach

14675.attach

14676.attach