JNewman

belt grinder speed

This brings up a question I have. I am planning a belt grinder build, and, at least to begin with, the speed will not be adjustable. So I have two choices; should I get the 4" drive wheel and have it run at 3600 fpm, or should I get the 6" drive wheel and have it run at 5400 fpm?

The intended use of the grinder will be for blades, armor, and general purpose.

I use three belt grinders a lot and for all metal work pay a lot of money for belts that I have found that will do the work I want right. That includes a commercial variable speed grinder, a comercial fixed speed grinder and a home made variable speed grinder set up with small contact wheels. I use several different brands of belts and all of them have a speed preference. even same brand belts with same grit size. As i grind on variable speed machines I will adjust the speed to get the belt to cut like I expect. And again a few of the brands of belts require more pressure when working than others. I use the fixed speed grinder for rouigh work like blade profiling. Not for blade or handle finishing. So for me the answer for this is simply grind alot with several different belts and different speeds and see wot speed works for you. A note book may be handy til you get it all sorted out.

I appreciate the advice Rich.

My dilemma is that I don't have a way to vary the speed, at least not to begin with. I'm wondering which belt speed would be better for the single speed until I am able to upgrade to variable; 3600 ft/min, or 5400 ft/min?

Am in the process of building a 2" x72" belt grinder & have been reading & using this site for info & help on speeds, motors etc. I have found a site that will make calculating FPM & pulley sizes very easy to calculate. The website is at the following website and is great.

https://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belteng.aspx

Hope everybody finds this as useful as I have during my planning stages. Also, we'll I'm at it, I'll give you the link of a young fellow, named  Jeremy Schmidtwho's built a very fine homemade unit, which I am hoping to duplicate, as closely as possible. Let me know what you think. Am sure some of the other members here must have seen this video as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_RlL1O-bK4&index=54&t=306s&list=PL7xh-HzSRHqmBUT0K3hL-AgySq_slHk5H

High, Dave, and welcome.  I'm a newer member here as well.  I have seen Jeremy's videos, and am impressed with that 2x72 design, and implementation.  Jeremy is a prodigy for sure.  And I plan on using his videos and documentation to build my own belt grinder.

The only caution I would give is that the design requires significant fabrication and welding skills, and a high degree of dedication to the time needed to complete the project.  This is a complex build, with quick-change attachments for: platen, 10 inch contact wheel, small wheels, small radius grinds and several types of table rests.

I've seen videos of professional fabricators trying to build this beast of a machine, and messing up the job.  Jeremy's build showed clearances of only .008" on the sliding accessory tube;  the pros had to have twice that just to get the sliding fixtures to work.  Sloppy.  I would really appreciate seeing the progress of someone having a good result with the build.  I believe that there are others on this forum who would also enjoy seeing your thread of such a build.