I Forge Iron

EOD scraps ID

Steve Sells

An Email from the wife of an EOD Technician serving in Iraq, would like me to make a blade (s?) for the unit using what she called "scraps" from the ordinance they had disarmed. I informed her as not knowing what the steel is I am not sure how well it will function as a blade itself, so I suggest I use those as layers for pattern welding.

That makes this another "What is this steel question", I sure hope its not air hardening :o

For a guy that always advocates using only new steels for the best blades, how do I find myself using so many odd metals so often? first the space rocks, and now Bomb fragments...

But nothing is too good for our servicemen, I will find a way! the next question will be Ka-bar or Fairbain Sykes....

Edited by mod07
typo

Hi Steve, the fact that YOU asked the question is exactly what drew me to this thread. You're the reason some of my saw steel will soon go to be tested - thanks for that.
Anyway, can't help with ID, but I sure hope you post as you make the blade.

Sure hope it's not that depleted uranium stuff I've been hearing about. Could be hazardous.

On the other hand, a blade made from actual Iraqi ordinance from "the big sandpit debacle" would make an interesting keepsake to tell the grandkids about. I'd liken a keepsake like that to the "Trench Art" that came out of WWI. Neat stuff.

Maybe use the unknown steel for the guard and butt cap or handle on the FS.

Use your own magic for the blade.

Also the unknown could be used in a plaque or part of sheath ,display, box etc.

I like Fairbain-Sykes then Ka-Bar is US origin, and maybe more pactical if it's a user..

Sounds pretty exciting to me,maybe kydex sheath.

Steve,
Most military projectiles up to .50 caliber, if they are armour piercing, are chrome moly. Rocket nose cones and RPG type explosives are 4140. Shrapnell from claymores and hand grenades are typically 52100. This may not always hold true due to the many different suppliers the military uses but this is a good example according to a friend of mine that works for the D.O.D.

Alan, that information is great so far. Also I hope the client has more sense that to try to mail me Uranium. How safe is it to assume Foreign makers may use similar steels for similar purposes? Being Iraq, we have Russian suppliers too.

Hey guys! Reading the posts on this and had to put my 2 cents in if possible. From my experience in Iraq, all roadside bombs that I encountered where of three types.... explosive mixtures like C-4 or some other "putty/plastic" type, shells "including mortars, hand grenades, artillery shells and bombs that come from airlplanes", and EFPs which are a plastic explosive located behind a copper disk that shoots it into our vehicles in a molten state. Besides the obvious danger of the explosion itself, non of them really have any harmful affects from just casual handling. Please be sure to wash your hands after use of course.
Due to the handling, storage requirements, and standards that are in place for munitions, most explosive rounds, rockets, and shells are made out of a higher grade material than just plain ole mild steel. Larger shells are actually made out of tool steel. This does not include 500lb bombs dropped from airplanes. Those are usually poured, but not cast iron. Now, if you ask me what type, I have no idea. My training did not include any of that data.
From being on the ground after IED attacks and actually handling shrapnel both large and small, most if not all of that metal is twisted, bent, contorted and comes in all sizes. I can see it being a big pain to work with. But I am sure the EOD guys will have some good stuff to choose from.
Depleted Uranium rounds are usually not found in Iraq among the locals. It is mainly a US round used in 120mm tank rounds and 30mm chain gun on the Apache. Not to say, they cant get them, lol. If you are wanting to make sure that it is not contaminated, just contact your local Reserve/National Guard unit and get them to run a Geiger Counter over it for you. It will give them good practice and put your mind at ease. I hope this post is taken in the way that I mean it. I sure dont mean to step on anyones toes. And of course, I have to say, this is only my experience from overseas with a Transportation Company in the Army Reserve and as a Munitions Systems Apprentice in the US Air Force or bomb dump as most people call it. Good luck and I really hope you do this for them. Whatever you choose, send them my regards.
Thanks
Bryan

Edit: Steve: I wouldnt count on what the Russians make as being anything good for making a knife at all. I know that most NATO countries have good standards. All I can say is good luck. It should be fun testing it though~!

Edited by wassomeoneelse
Reread and try to answer a question

Great guys, I don't have the job yet, just an Email request. They being an active unit, I will give them a price break. I can't afford to give this away, but they are giving me more in their services to us here back home, so I will low ball the price a lot.

umm mr. sells just a thought eod is explosive ordinance disposal. i think you may have ied shrapnel (impovised explosvie device). just my 2 cents worth and i hope it turns out well.

interesting ID you made, considering I don't even have the steel from them yet. :D Your profile reminds me of another new guy that posts a lot here. Edited by steve sells

interesting ID you made, considering I don't even have the steel from them yet. :D Your profile reminds me of another new guy that posts a lot here.

Uhh, it sounds like common sense, if they are disposing of nasty bombs most likely it will be chunks of those bombs, would it not? Edited by ApprenticeMan

Yup, common sense say's its bomb bits :D I have no clue what they are sending, that's why I started this thread to get ideas, the Email said "Military EOD scraps" there is no listing in my Heat treating notebook for that grade lol ;)