I Forge Iron

hops hook

this year i decided to try to grow hops..the plants or vines will grow up to aruond 20 feet so i needed to come up with some kind of way to support the vines..I made this hook and ring..the hook was forged out of 5/16 x 2& 1/2 flat stock..finished length about 45 inches.. the leaf and branch is out of 1" round..ring out of 1/2" round.

14604.attach

14605.attach

14606.attach

14607.attach

thanks folks for your nice comments..this is also a test for a clear coat finish on the metal.I used helmsman sparurathane satin..it worked well when I lived in texas, we'll see how it does in north carolina..and yes if all goes well i will make up a batch of home brew in the fall

I like the design of the bracket very much - and the idea in general. I will propose it to the head gardener, and might just have to copy it.

What would you reccomend for a non welded version? Tennons into the backplate and a collar?

We can't grow hops in the south. Not sure why but we have something else: Kudzu! You don't need a hanger, string or anything. It will grow right up a tree, a truck or a house. It grows up to a foot per day. It can cover an entire forest in a few years. For God' sake, somebody find a use for this stuff!!!!!

14681.attach

Edited by Quenchcrack

We can't grow hops in the south. Not sure why but we have something else: Kudzu! You don't need a hanger, string or anything. It will grow right up a tree, a truck or a house. It grows up to a foot per day. It can cover an entire forest in a few years. For God' sake, somebody find a use for this stuff!!!!!

The only thing to do with it is turn goats, pigs and free range cattle loose on it. (when they get hungry enough) Another example of the unintended consequences. Imported to slow erosion. Some people do make hay out of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just give it to me to raise. I'll take good care of it and it will all be dead in a month!sad.gif

• 1 month later...