I Forge Iron

Grade 6 Class Project - my first sculpture.

My grade 6 class wanted to do something different for an arts presentation at our school. We decided to make a sculpture - my classroom is the school shop so I have lots of materials around. We decided to take the "Character Traits" our school has beed focusing on and put them all together into a single image - a sunflower. The kids cut the petals out of thin copper and embossed the traits into the petals - we even wrote some of them into different languages. I had to do the heavy stuff because the kids didn't have the strength, but I did get them to drill and rivet their large petals on, and to stamp their names into one of the big leaves.
The school loved our sculpture and are planning on displaying it in the school permanently. I'm very proud of my kids.

aeneas the project looks wicked - how fabulous for the kids to create something like this- i do work with kids at my childrens school sometimes and it is great helping them come up with ideas and techniques. bet that looks wicked in the shcool!

Aeneas,

Thats an incredible project - really well done! My GF is an elementary school teacher and she'd love to have an opportunity to do a project like that with the kids at her school (of course I'd have to go in and lend her a hand ;))!

It's nice to hear at least some schools still have a shop. So many have gone by the wayside and the equipment sold off - it seems like hands-on, vocational learning is becoming a thing of the past.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
It's been kind of surreal to walk in to school for the past few days and see it there - makes me think "Did we really do that?"
Then my sore back and shoulders remind me ... "Yup, we sure did."

For lack of a better description - it really does feel pretty cool :D

Thanks again for all the support - I love this place.

Sam

Lucky kids to have such an inventive instructor... and a shop. Many of the shop classes in my neck of the woods have been cut and the shops dismantled. You either go straight academic or go to the technical high school. There's just no room for kids who want to learn a handy manual skill as part of their curriculum. I applaud your efforts to provide opportunities for students to be well-rounded.