I Forge Iron

czech anvils? Euroanvils? pros and cons?

Hi there everyone!
This is my first post. I have been lurking for a little while but not too long... Anyway I just put together a small brake drum coal forge and am about to purchase an anvil. Due to costs and money constraints I am considering the euroanvil variety... Does anyone use a euroanvil? Please give me as much information as you can on them! Do they crack or chip more easily? Is the temper even? How is the finish? How is the design and general shape and layout? I'm a little skeptical about them since they are cheaper then most, but then I would like to have the heaviest anvil I can afford. I would also love to hear about Kohlswa Anvils I heard that they are of comparable prices, but are they of similar quality as well?
It's been a pleasure to read all these wonderful and generally educational posts!
Thanks,

Marc

Edited by MADWORKS

Marc, Let me be the first to welcome you. Greetings all teh way from Sichuan. That brings me onto point #1. Update your profile so we all know where you are. There might be another hobby smith in your town!

I don't have a Euro but have heard a lot of good about them and only one horror story so I think you should be OK. They have a good selection of sizes and some excellent features. Don't be in a tearing hurry, though, and try to use as many anvils as you can so you get to have a feeling for what is good and what suits you.

You have the right idea to get a big anvil. You can do small work on a big one but not vice versa. I currently have 1 280# single bick Vaughans, a 275# double bick and a 234# Rhino (see later posting). I love them all in different ways. (If only women would be as broad minded as anvils are). Having the school here, of course, I need several anvils.

Vice versa brings me onto the next point. You will use a vice as much as you use your anvil. Again get a good big one (but probably not too much of a monster at first). I started out with my 280# Vaughans, a hardie and a Vaughans vice. Everything else I made from those basic tools.

Another advantage of updating USR CP with your location is that you might find someone near you that can offer you a larger "pre-owned" anvil for less than you would pay for a new one.

I am currently searching for a larger older anvil rather paying the price of a new one. Check out the threads in this forum for remarkes and stories of anvil purchases.

Oh! Welcome Marc.

I have used a 178 lb Euro for several years.

They, like most others, will need some "tuning" out of the box... primarily putting a radius on the edge, maybe a little clean-up on the horn, light touch-up on the face. A hand-held belt sander is excellent for the job.

The face is initially going to be a bit softer than an old, seasoned anvil. Just remember to only hit hot steel on the face, and you won't have any trouble. Cold-straightening a piece of rebar can cause you some grief, but that's not what an anvil is for, right?

I love mine and can highly recommend them.

Don

i dont know abour euro anvils but i own a (older) koshlswa anvil and it has been a great anvil with a good live facs and doesnt chip or show wear even after 25 years of service ! it is my portable (141 lbs) and was the first anvil i owned it came out out of a rr shop (guy i got it from worked for rr)great anvil !

Welcome aboard Marc, glad to have ya.

I don't own one but have heard nothing but good about Euroanvils, there was one batch of Kohlswa anvils that weren't properly heat treated but that was years ago.

As said, keep looking, tell everybody and I mean EVERYBODY you know or meet you're looking for blacksmithing tools and equipment. It works amazingly well and you might just find one of those mythical "my husband had an anvil out in that shed, I've been wanting to have it cleaned out but can't afford it so if you clean it out you can have whatever you want" stories. The shed of course turns out to be a complete and intact late 19th, early 20th C blacksmith shop.

Unlikely but it happens, I've come close twice and I live in Alaska.

Frosty

I have a 500 lb euroanvil that is used by the demonstrators at our guild meetings and by the instructors at the yesteryear school and is a very good anvil ( especially for the price )
Blacksmith supply sells them and he lives about 30 minutes from me.
You can probally see some photos of work being done on it at ( www.yesteryearschool.com.)
All in All i'd say its well worth the prices that they ask for them.

Mike Tanner
www.yesteryearschool.com
www.blacksmithguildofva.com

Edited by yesteryearforge

I have a 286lb. Euro anvil. I havent used it a LOT yet , only got it bout month ago. I have used about 4 others and all of em have all been great anvils and a pleasure to work on. Some people have said they are a bit soft but I havent had any trouble with that , but I dont do ANY COLD work on it.

Thanks everyone! I may have my heart set on the 335# anvil, and interestingly enough that's the only one they have in stock! Yesteryear, that 500# anvil looks HUGE! I can't wait to own a similar beauty. Thanks again for all the responses and warm welcome. I have gathered most of the tools I need to get going, I just want a heavier anvil. I actually found a guy who had a champion No. 400 blower for $100 and when I went to pick it up he had a post vise leaning in a corner of his shop. He offered to sell it to me for $50... Needless to say this guy made my week! I recently bought an anvil that looks like a vulcan but it doesn't have ANY markings of any kind. It weighs around 110#. I knew that it was in bad shape but I also knew that it was better than an ASO and that It was for an ok price. I paid $120. The bearing test gets around %50 rebound on most of the face though it's not square. It got me started and that's all I wanted from it, but now that I can afford a larger one... :)
I will post pics of these mentioned tools soon!
Marc

• 4 months later...

I have to agree with what has been written. I have 2 Euroanvils and 3 Old World Anvils that we use to teach on. If this isnt real world I dont know what is. Even with the occasionally misses that our new Smith's have commemorated on our anvils that are all doing excpetionally well. I would recommend these to anyone. I think the note about dressing the anvil is a fair one.

Ken

Here's another quick thought. How about a Fontanini (formerly known as Rat Hole Forge)? Made in America-help support our economy. I bought the smaller of the 2 sizes he makes( 250lb?) and I love it. It is a beautiful tool also-has a fifth leg, church window, upsetting block and a shelf. It was $1222 shipped to me. A real pleasure to work with.
Mark Emig

Hi All,
Just my two cents worth I have a 335# euro anvil and I love it!!! Like mentioned before you will have to dress it out. I have had mine for about 4 years now I also have 2 peter wrights 117# and 150#, 2 vulcans 200# and 60#. I use the peter wrights for demoing and the 200# vulcan at my day job because it is quiet. The 60# vulcan is for the boy scouts when I teach metalworking with the blacksmithing option. I have noticed that my euro anvil is getting harder as I have used it but has not got any marks or it has not cracked or chiped. For the money it was a great choice for me.
Gaylan Veater