I Forge Iron

Iron Badger

Hello all. I plan on Blacksmithing as a full time job but I am currently a begginer. I am glad to be part of this community. I don't have any equipment yet so I would appreciate any input on the stuff I should buy. I want to make tools, and eventualy swords. I like the idea of being able to make everything for myself instead of buying a product from a store that has no quality guarantee. Should I buy leather gloves for protection and if so do I need welders gloves or will a pair from The Home Depot do just fine? Also, is working with brass anything like working with iron?

Welcome to I Forge Iron, Before you quit your day job, smith as a hobby, after you get to the point where you are making as much smithing, then think again about full time, there is not a lot of money to be made as a smith. Many of us do it out of passion, not paycheck.

Welcome to IFI. Making your own tools is part of the learning process and making swords is one of the specialities that some blacksmiths end up doing. A long way between them.

For now have a good look at the Getting Started articles off the front page for some good ideas on what you need.

Cheers

Welcome aboard Badger dude, glad to have ya.

Blacksmithing is a hard trade to break into professionally so keep the day job and do a controlled transition. It will allow you to live in reasonable comfort and build your tools and skills. Good classes cost good money just like good tools and equipment and a good place to keep and use it all.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also, if local folk know you're there they can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Just a few weeks ago someone on the forum was looking for a starter anvil, any anvil. Another member ran across a number for sale in a shop within easy driving distance but if he hadn't known where the other fellow lived he wouldn't have tried putting him onto the deal before announcing it to the forum.

Frosty

I'm guessing with the name "badger" you may be in Wisconsin?

Also do go for gloves, they will teach you all sort of bad habits. You will get used to picking up hot iron with them and some day you won't have them and then its torch city on the fingers. Also anything that will protect will be too bulky to work with. Learn the bare hand way and be better for it.

Brass is nothing like Iron. It is much softer.