I Forge Iron

Arm & Hammer Anvil with weld

Anyone know if a weld (bead looks like oxy acety weld) on waist beneath horn and tail but shows no sign on sides could be origonal?
Forged 180 lb Arm & Hammer Name & insigna is stamped on side.
Weld is about i in. wide runs side to side
Thanks
Joe

i doubt it but i am a nnnnnoob (gasp ;)) it is probably a reapair over a crack. and a picture so people can help you better. and i think that the arm and hamer is a vulcan anvil.

He who knows nothing says nothing. ;)

Put a picture of the repair up. Sounds like something that came later in the anvils life.

Well; nice to see you all posting; however Arm and Hammer anvils with the trademark stamped *in* and not a raised casting (Vulcan steel faced cast iron body) in latter years used a cast steel base that was arc welded to the top piece. "Anvils In America" can give you all the details.

Most of the ones I have seen were dressed (ground) down; however spending 15 years living in the city where they were made (Columbus OH) I have seen a number that still had the original welding visible. I often wondered if they were sold as seconds or were lunchbox freebie's...

oh yeah i did not know that thanks dragon lair. as i stated before i am a noob. oh well, worse things can happen.

If you don't know then why are you posting that nonsense, 3 times no less. How is that really supposed to help anyone? and in answer to your query... The worse that can happen is that someone believes you, and acts on that. Edited by steve sells
typo

Hi
Thanks for the input on the Arm & Hammer 180 lb anvil.
I was ready to pass up a good buy ($250) on this
perfect looking other than the welds anvil.
sides are finished nicley.just under horn and heel are welds visible.Dosn't have the ring to it like a cast steel I now own,A problem or typical of this construction?
Thanks
Joe