I Forge Iron

Stories behind smithy/forge names...

Firegirl,

My Forge is Frost Fire Forge & Studio...Our last name is Frost we play with fire...

Found your website.
You do really nice work.
We see so much stuff from day to day, it takes a lot to make me say "Wow!"

But wow! Really nice.

Don

Jymm, We use Lazy Ass Forge for the very reason you listed, I don't want to take my blacksmithing serious, I have a JOB, blacksmithing is my hobby!(along with raising mules)
By the way, I really like my colonial anvil I bought from you! Thanks for making them!
Bill Davis

As I am still in hobby mode, I haven't been too concerned with a name yet but have kicked around a few idea's. One is "The Forgery" as I make
some thing(s) out of nothing. (similar to a forged check)
Other options are either Tieton or Highland Forge, Tieton is the town I live in, Highland is the name of the school district I work for, which Tieton is part of that district. I could combined the first option with either of the second ones. Highland Forgery, Tieton Forgery. We'll see how it goes. :)

Mine is SO original... Dean's Smithy... bet you'd never thought of it! Have considered changing it to "Pine Cone Forge". We own and live on 61 acres of East Texas piney woods and at the time I just didn't think of naming it. Actually, my dearest named it when she went to have business cards made for me... I didn't know she was doing that either.

Mine is the Fiery Furnace Forge Blacksmith Co. It has more of a biblical background I reckon. Remember the three Hebrew men that were thrown into the "Fiery Furnace" for not bowing to the Babylonian's false gods? The true God delivered them from the flames for their faithful and undying devotion towards Him. Anyway, that's where mine came from. For short, I call it the Triple F. Blacksmith Co., and I stamp my products with three F's.

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer

I really like this thread. Such great ideas! As I'm just getting started, and don't sell anything, I have No idea what I would/will call mine. But I'm thinking on it. I will definitely keep checking this thread for ideas. Thanks to all for contributing.

I also haven't thought of a name on any serious level yet, though I was considering either "Carpe Noctem Forge" or "Carpe Malleus Forge" (Seize the Night / Hammer). Whatcha think?

I don't think you want to seize the soft (HOT) parts. Do you? :o

My signoff on another forum is "Carpe Extremitas Frigus", "Seize the COLD end."

Frosty

So how boring am I?? My workshop and house are "The Forge" the house dates from 1690. I dont know how long they have been "The Forge" but there has been a smithy here at least since 1850 as somebody carved that date in the timber above the door. I don't dare change the name or do anything else for a living:D
BTW I'm also a Scotsman:rolleyes: must be something about strong in the arm and thick in the head.
Glenn, I did enjoy the quip about "If it aint Burroak, dont fix it":D

So how boring am I?? My workshop and house are "The Forge" the house dates from 1690. I dont know how long they have been "The Forge" but there has been a smithy here at least since 1850

I am in a similar situation- I work from "The Old Smiddy" which has been that for many many years, and before it was "old" it was just "The Smiddy", and who am I to come along and rename it? (Smiddy being the Scots equivalent to Smithy, in case any of you thought I had misspelled it!)

Rather than call it boring I call it "being respectful of tradition" I did however toy with the idea of naming the Gallery as a separate entity, but reached the conclusion it wasn't neccessary and would only confuse people.

I do however use my own name when referring to my work- in publicity and on business cards - As in myself Colleen du Pon working from the Old Smiddy.

My hobby Smithy is Sweet Rock Forge. Our goat heard is registered as Sweet Rock. We live at Sweet Rock Homestead on Sweet Rock Lane. Our desert land is rocks and sand which goes along with the Bible verse, "on this rock I will build my church". On that Rock we are building our lives and have found it to be indeed a "Sweet" Rock.

I am in a similar situation- I work from "The Old Smiddy" which has been that for many many years, and before it was "old" it was just "The Smiddy", and who am I to come along and rename it? (Smiddy being the Scots equivalent to Smithy, in case any of you thought I had misspelled it!)

Rather than call it boring I call it "being respectful of tradition" I did however toy with the idea of naming the Gallery as a separate entity, but reached the conclusion it wasn't neccessary and would only confuse people.

I do however use my own name when referring to my work- in publicity and on business cards - As in myself Colleen du Pon working from the Old Smiddy.

AH ! Blair Atholl, How lucky you are, I am envious:

Presently my forge really doesn't have a name. Only very recently did it aquire walls and a roof! So I guess there is no rush.
I have always thought of calling it "Genesee Valley Blacksmith" because just about everything hereabouts is called "Genesee Valley" something or other.
All of that seems rather impersonal though so I'll likely go with something to do with my name, family history, clans etc.
My family crest bears a thistle, clan association is Clan Grant. The clan symbol is a mountain inflamed, proper and surrounded by a buckled belt which represents "Craig Elachie"- the rallying point on a mountain where the clan would gather at the signal fires in anticipation of battle. The motto is "Stand Fast". Tartan is crimson and green, hunting and battle tartan is the Black Watch.
The shop sign will incorporate these with an anvil on the mountain and thistle on the side of the anvil.
Likely it will still wind up being "Genesee Valley Blacksmith", but with a really cool sign:D Dan

Back in the late 1800's-1938, my family made bricks in Haverstraw, NY.(major brickmaking village on the Hudson river). I know they had to have a blacksmith at the yard, so I named mine GORMLEY BRICKYARD FORGE.
Gormley being my sir name, lol

Edited by JIMBO420

• 2 weeks later...