I Forge Iron

Coke crushing

I have just gone over to using coke. I can get it free here which has got to be a good deal. It comes in large pieces and I have been looking for a way to break it and screen it. I have put a big old cast iron radiator across two kerb stones. The tubes are convex which helps to crush the coke and the whole thing acts like an anvil against which to hammer. I use a light sledgehammer so as not to break up the cast iron. The gaps between the tubes are just the correct size to screen the coke down to walnut size. The kerb stones keep it at a good working height and allow me to shovel the crushed fuel out of the bottom. It is on a slight incline so the coke runs easily to one end. The few bits that stick inside the centre of the radiator (fewer than I had expected) are simply dislodged using my coke shovel. The shovel is 4" channel iron forged flat and with a steel bar handle welded on.

How's that for simplicity? The ladies who run the furnaces already want me to make them one.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...