I Forge Iron

my first Iron Rose

I found a youtube video of someone making a rose from copper (sorry I didn't save the link) and made it from steel instead. For the petals I cut 3 3" discs from 20 gauge sheet, divided them into 5 sections each (cutting to within 1/4" from my center hole) and cut a small "V" notch between each petal. I then hammered them to give them texture and a more "organic" look. Then it was as simple as putting them together and bending the "petals" until it looked like a rose. I "cheated" and used a small torch to heat the petals so I could isolate the heat. (I could have bent them cold but I didn't want to take an unnecessary chance of the steel splitting). The stem was heated and textured, drawn down on the end to accomodate the petals, and then hammered flat (like a rivet) once the petals were on (of course, this done BEFORE the petals were shaped).

This was my first time and I thought it was a lot of fun...plus my mom and wife loved them!

Jeds that`s a nice gift for Mom! Now, just an idea, if you take say a piece of 1/2" bar and point it then turn it, it will look as the center bud of unopen petals. On that same rod you may weld petals from inside out, the ones closer to the center bud no so open, and the following more, and more open as you reach the oldest petals, and finally you may add the sepals, or leaves enclosing the whole flower bud before opening. By the way, are you rebuilding that steam hammer? Holy cow, that must be something else... Nelson.

I read the original post about the time it was posted (nice work by the way) and somehow I was lead to another location where someone made a rose by a different method and now I can't find my way back there. The rose sepals and petals were made from square bar (1" I think) and the site had nice pictures showing the various steps. I almost remember how it was done (almost!). Does anyone know where this might be found? I would like to try it.