I Forge Iron

Hello all, new here

Gills

Hey everybody. I am completely new to blacksmithing. I have been interested in the idea for about a year now. The idea of creating something with your hands that is uniquely yours, and the things you can do by manipulating metal (that I have researched) is quite amazing.

I am from Pennsylvania. I recently graduated from college with an undergraduate degree, so until now I could not afford, nor did I have the time to invest in this hobby. I will also be going back to graduate school for my masters degree, so my time and money will be limited again for a while.

To get myself started I have been going to auctions, trying to collect the tools and equipment that I need to start this hobby. It took a while because for some reason the price and collectability have greatly increased for anvils
(making them ridiculously expensive and just plain too much money for any normal person to get one), because apparently people actually collect anvils, not to use them but to just collect them.

I got lucky and did get a hand crank blower connected to a stand that would make a pretty decent starter forge until I can find or make a better forge. Oh, the brand of the blower and stand is a Lancaster Forge in case anybody is interested. I also very recently got an anvil at an auction, that came with some different kinds of tongs, metal rods, and a couple of hardy hole tools.
So, I am getting close to being ready to begin my hobby. I also, besides looking for other general blacksmith associated tools, am looking at auctions for a arc welder for metal working projects.

Sorry, I did not mean to make this a long speech. So, thanks for having me on your forums. I am looking forward to discussing blacksmithing in general with you all.

Erik

Welcome aboard Erik, glad to have ya.

While it's nice to have all the "real" tools and equipment they're far from a necessity to get started. You have more than enough to get started already. Check out the 55 forge in the blueprints section for a perfect example of a zero $ forge, you already have the blower and that's one of the hardest things to find.

You don't even need that, a hole in the ground, a piece of flex hose to reach from the blower to a short piece of pipe to the fire and you've got your forge. Light a fire and get to hammering.

Frosty

Thanks for the blue print reference. Yeah, I realize that I have enough equipment to have a decent beginning forge. But I figured I might as well keep looking for other tools, and possibly better equipment. Just because I would like to make my set up better or improve it in any way.
The hand crank blower came with a four legged metal stand with a pan that is connected to the blower, so that will make a decent forge with out me having to do anything to it.
So right now, I need to figure out where I want to set the forge up on the property, then find a supplier of metal (possibly found one), and coal, and then I am ready to go.

Erik

Edited by Gills

A blower with an attached round pan is a rivet or RR forge.

My point is don't wait till you get all the perfect tools. The search is an unending and enjoyable pursuit. There's absolutely no reason to stop the hunt once you start forging, they go together like biscuits and gravy. Heck, the skill of scrounging is almost as important as good hammer control or fire management.

Frosty