I Forge Iron

Hello everybody!!

hello! my name's Dave, I'm a machinist and computer draftsman with plenty of welding skills.

Ive always had an interest in building and fixing stuff and making it better than what it was. Learning the blacksmiths trade is something Ive wanted to do for quite some time now. I recently built a forge from a design that has been rolling around in my head for more than a year. The forge was designed around a centaur firepot and built out of the leftovers in the weldshop at my college.

My forge ended up being part of the final exam for my Fit & Fabrication class. its not perfect but its very robust and it did get an A so i'm very happy with it. We tested it by standing three people on it. One blacksmith, one welder and me, at least 400 lbs so i know it will last a long time. The only two things wrong with it, its somewhat heavy and the legs are a little crooked because i didn't weld on the bracing first before welding the legs on. I learned a lot about distortion in that class from trial and error and hopefully if i ever build another one it will be even better than the first:D