I Forge Iron

Buffalo 625 bearing cone nut

gadetoz

Hi there,
I recently acquired a Buffalo 625 hand crank forge blower. While it was working, it was noisy and I like to restore things to how the were. OK - so I stripped it down and the bottom two 'cone nuts' that adjust the open bearings which drive the fan are severely worn. Does anyone know if you can order replacement 'cone nuts' online (from Australia) - the other option is to start with a couple of nuts and turn them down - or pack more grease in. Thoughts, comments and advice welcomed.
Trevor

Machine new ones, then lube with oil, not grease. Grease will trap grit which will contribute to future wear. Since this is a "total loss" system, oil it every day that you use it, twice if it is a long day.

Welcome aboard Trevor, glad to have ya.

There's quite a mob of Aussies hanging here on IFI so you shouldn't get lonely or have to explain what you just said to EVERYBODY. ;)

If you click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. If local folk know you're there they can invite you to get togethers, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

Still searching,
At this stage intend to order some bearings (6002-2RS, ID 15mm, OD 32mm, width 9mm) and pull out the open bearing cups. Will let you know how I go.
Many thanks to those who have responded.
Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

The sealed bearings 6002-2RS were no good. Ended up buying a M14-1mm thread die nut and re-cutting the thread on the shaft. Original thread was very close to this anyway as the original bearing cone nuts and lock nuts would screw nicely onto a M14-1mm bolt but an M14-1mm nut would not screw onto the original shaft thread. Anyway once the new thread was cut this enable me to use standard bicycle cone nuts. All good now running smooth and quiet.
Trevor

• 2 months later...