I Forge Iron

monel metal

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what monel metal is, what it is used for, can I forge it, and can I weld it? I picked up a couple of boxes from the scrap yard the other day thinking it may be useful to make certain tools.

ive heard of people forgeing it ... its a real tough forge (nickle is tough) but it is interesting for certan aplications the corosion resistance is high so if your going to forge door handles for extereor for someone on the coast.... good luck!

I'm absolutely positive Monel and all it's alloys has been banned in Australia. Luckily for you,we have a certified Monel reclamation center right smack in the middle of our building in Tennessee. It is the only authorized facility of it's kind. To avoid being prosecuted, you can turn it in under amnesty. Honest ,we won't say as word to anyone.

Monel makes great hardware for ovens. We've made several pizza ovens and used Monel for the door hardware and locking mechanisms. Good Luck with your projects.

i use to scrap alot of it here on the shore as they used alot of it for boat hardware years ago alot of the fuel tanks were monel as for forgeing never tryed i know its strong they use to make deep sea monel fishing wire out of it good luck with it and if you forge something make shore to show us

I have a small amount of experience forging INCONEL (which I think is a cousin to Monel ). The stuff I used were scrapped production valves from a factory. Harder'n Chinese Arithmetic (at least). It moves at HOT (very hot) but as it cools of course it just laughs at the hammer. Interesting stuff.

http://www.lenntech.com/Monel.htm try this link for education

Edited by Ten Hammers

Hard to forge does not equal hard at cooler temps. Does not hold a good edge and is very expensive. Save it for where it's looks or properties make it a star and use easier to find and afford alloys.

Me I want some 1/16 to 1/8" inconell to line my forge with; got some Ti to trade...