I Forge Iron

Hammer making tongs

Brian:

Thanks for the quick answer. However I still would like to know what are the dimensions of the slitter you used for this tong. Is the width at the end equal to the final dimension of the rivet hole? Does it taper wider from that point, or does it remain that width for a bit before tapering?

Bill

Sorry, Bill. I got this post confused with another post talking about hammer drifts.
The drift for the tongs is in the forth picture of the very first post of this thread, and it is as you described it from Slitter Geometry. I think you may be confusing the third picture witch shows the punch that made the slot.

Grasshopper what relevance has that???????
Thank Brian!
Yes, you do need to make LOTS more videos!!! Take them on Karens iPad, not best quality ever but it works as good as anything and it is super easy to upload straight to you tube on her iPad... Heck... She might even teach YOU how to do it all!!!!! Although...there is no such thing as a teacher! You would be teaching yourself!!!!!!! :D

Haha! That gave me a good laugh, bill!!!!! Thanks!!
John... Yes this sounds like petty excuses but... The reason for it moving was because it was half on a piece of plate and as a lazy so and so would do while being too eager to shoot a video, i didn't take five seconds to Move it and the camera ( another reason, the camera wouldn't see it and I had spent five minutes finding the perfect spot for it! ) and with the tool rests, again lazy, but thirty secs after the vid I ground another tool in the same fashion ( while video taping so I have proof) and I did then move the tool rest..
Yes...I am a bit of an idiot...and after uploading the vid and looking through it I knew someone would say that and it took quite a while!!!

Alec ( the idiot ) ( lazy ) ( but usually 100% safe I never skint on PPE when cutting, grinding or welding ) ( but still sometimes can't be bothered to move a grinder five inches. )
Thanks for your post, John... It made me think....

A few seconds saved could mean a life, an eye, a finger, not only yours but also someone elses.

There are enough idiots out there misrepresenting blacksmithing, pleas don't become one of them.

We should do our best to address that problem, also remember if its on the net, it is there for a very long time, and not only people wanting to learn the skills, but potential clients will be watching, so please don't denigrate the craft, We should be raising the standards,

I applaud your enthusiasm , and how you learnt from Brian's videos, but you are now getting your own following as you mature, and people wiil be learning from YOUR videos. With that comes responsibilty and I know you are man enough to rise to that responsibilty and address it.

Keep up the good work, and just make that little extra effort to project the right image. Good luck with your Craft Show, I'm off to the Forge in at Westpoint now

Hi Alec. Thanks for the videos. They are really clear, and I appreciate all the detailed comments, especially in the other threads about hot cutting the rounds for the hammer and taking 9 heats to make that big drift. They help to keep things real. John B is right about those grinders. They are as dangerous as a monkey with a machine gun. I once had an accident caused by too much space between the tool rest and the wheel. It turned out a little worse than those little slips, but fortunately I wasn't hit. It was really loud, though, and it was a wake up call.

• 9 months later...

Made myself a pair of these tongs yesterday. This is the result.

post-12165-0-98546500-1339505946_thumb.j

The reins came out a bit short perhaps. The total length is 16".
Lets see if they're any good... :) Planning to do some handled top tools to start with.

• 2 years later...

Something happened a while back with the site and a lot of the photos Brian had posted have been lost.

That's a shame, when I go to the smithy next week I'm hoping to make some.  I have watched the video but was hoping to get some more info.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Regretfully I have been away for awhile and inadvertently neglected to add an article which was written by Mr. Brazel. It is now posted below. I hope this is not a duplicate of a previous entry. 

There are a number of tong photos I believe are finished products of Brian's tongs and related to the series of photos which have been thankfully restored to this forum. I will gather these and post them ASAP.

On a personal note I am grateful to return home to Maine and look forward to lighting a fire and put a hammer in my hand. The forge, postvices and their stands are set up. A new anvil stand is in order, the stump it is on needs to be repurposed.

Lastly, It looks like I will need to start out hammering some new tools. In my absence some have apparently grown legs. Gotta love those children, and be proud of they got me started in metal work.

Wishing you all the best, 

Timothy Rockcress 

*Tongs - Alfred Habermann Way.pdf