I Forge Iron

Hammer making tongs

Thank you so much!!! I really wanted to see the steps for making that type of tongs. I guess you use spring steel to make them... less bendable ( I couldn't find the word there) to resist the weight of the hammer head and you working on it, being the tongs so light(carbon content). You think mild steel would bend? You draw the reins by hand?

Sorry for asking so many things.

Thanks again. I couldn't find a worship icon so I could only use this :D

Rub

Edited by Grafvitnir

"I do not heat treat them. they hold perfectly."

But you do take care not to quench them while hot?

Coil springs as in car coil springs? You pinch the corners(just in front of the boss and the next angle) for resistance? In your DVD it seems you cut the jaws like a "Y" but this one looks like the Habermann's, just flat.

I was just examining all the details, just gaping at them... what finish you used? (hammer and tongs both look a beautiful gray color)

I just love them :)

Thanks again

Rub

"I do not heat treat them. they hold perfectly."

But you do take care not to quench them while hot?

Coil springs as in car coil springs? You pinch the corners(just in front of the boss and the next angle) for resistance? In your DVD it seems you cut the jaws like a "Y" but this one looks like the Habermann's, just flat.

Ruben, I don't quench any tong while they are hot. Yes, car springs. I started making them like this because I can hold inside the eye while I do the fullering between the cheaks and the faces. I put a finish on them just for the pictures; it helps bring the detail out. I just rub a towel with vegetable oil on it while it is at the right temp, not too hot and not too cool. I do pinch the corners for strength and efficiency. This is one of the best things I learned from Prof. Habermann.
Thanks again for asking Ruben, and you all are very welcome. Brian

I do not heat treat them. they hold perfectly.

Interesting, I have never seen a shape like these before, I will have to give them a try Brian. Your perspective and designs are very different than what I am used to, nice for a fresh perspective and very inspiring to get out and in the shop.

Hey, ApprenticeMan, You've got to get out more often! I'm just kidding. If you saw the video that Gerald Boggs posted of Alfred Habermann and his pick-up tong you could see what I'm saying even though you may not be able to understand anything that Alfred is saying. I can pick up and hold anything from under 1/16" to 2" with these tongs and manipulate it under the hammer and still hold a hammer in the eye to do work on either end.

Quick question. I can't tell from the pictures but it appears the boss area is the same thickness throughout as opposed to being forged down in width. Is that the case and if so do you bend the reins and jaws to get them in alignment. TIA Rob.

Quick question. I can't tell from the pictures but it appears the boss area is the same thickness throughout as opposed to being forged down in width. Is that the case and if so do you bend the reins and jaws to get them in alignment. TIA Rob.

I took some pictures of the boss area. I think they will clear it up.
The boss area is the thickest part of the tongs both ways.

14101.attach

14102.attach

14103.attach

14104.attach

Cool, thanks. With those pictures I can see the boss much better. Also the 90 deg angles. They appear tapered. I think I saw that in a book once for making pintles. It made a pretty good corner without having to upset a lot of material to do it. Is this the same idea? Thanks again, Rob.

The close-up of the boss clarified things better for me also :) I got to see the pinched corners better. Could you post a close up of the jaws? Sorry to ask but I'll like to see that part also; I can't see if it is flat or has a groove in it or something(because of the groove in the Habermann tongs).

Sorry for asking so many things.

Thanks again Brian, for everything.

14112.attach

Edited by Grafvitnir
Adding attachment

Brian,

Those are very nice. Nice step by step as well. BTW for whoever asked about doing them out of mild steel instead, I thought I'd add this: If you start with heavier stock you would be fine, but I find tongs this heavy rather unwieldy (especially when handling something as heavy as tool heads or hammers) I may just have to copy these so I'll have a pair in my shop:)

Thanks again!

• 2 years later...

Brian:

In the slitter geometry post you mentioned a slitter that was the width of the final hole in one dimension and tapered in the other to about an 1/8". In the picture of this slitter it seems to taper in both dimensions. Is this just because you wanted a heavier body to the tool and the taper ends for the working depth?
i know this is late but I hope you will read this and get me an answer.
Thanks.

Bill

Bill, a drift for making a hammer and a drift for opening a slot and sizing a hole are two very different tools. A drift for making a hammer is used as an anvil inside the hole and the cheeks are fullered towards the larger end of the drift creating a tapered hole. For hammers I'll make an hour glass type hole, because the handle gets set in with wedges. For top tools that I wouldn't want to wedge, I finish to hole tapered in one direction so the wood handle has better contact with the cheeks.