I Forge Iron

Zoning inspector shut me down (temporarily)

For 4 years I've been building hot rods and now 2 years blacksmithing in the side yard under a fabric shade structure. Last week, zoning cited me for no permit and for not having a 3' setback from the property line. For 6 years my wife has been telling me to build a detached shop and I've refused because I didn't want to spend that kind of money on myself. Trust me,my tool lust is expensive enough. This time she insisted I take the tax return and build it. Seriously, she made several more runs at me until I gave in. Well face it, you've got to let them win every once in a while! LOL I've got to be the luckiest man on the planet to have a wife like that!!! Friends have stepped up with a garage door, lots of labor and more importantly help navigating the building permit process so that I can get it right the first time. Oh, and did I mention that this evening my wife said we should postpone our vacation so I can build the shop before the weather gets really hot.... Honestly, I just can't find a down side to the zoning inspector shuting me down....maybe I'll send him a thank you note...............

ya get that sucker built quick! the weather will be in triple digits before ya know it ! ime getting my rv ready for traveling for the summer.... that time of year and getting my stock up for summer shows .what type of hotrods ya build ? working on a 63 plymouth sport fury here .... and dont forget the a/c in the new shop... and if you run a swamp cooler make sure your toolbox isnt right in front of it .... rust is not good for a snapon toolbox.. good luck and post pictures when done!

Talk about silver linings!

It's funny, talking to the folk here I seem to see a much higher ratio of wives/spousal units who either don't mind their men/other half playing with fire and hitting things to outright encouraging it.

Life is good eh?

Frosty

Frosty,

you make an excellent point, none of us who are married or joined in other fashions could have nearly as much fun as we do, if our SO's were resistant to our spending time at it. I am blessed by the fact that all my family and friends encourage me, and also get joy from my enthusiasm. And I draw tremendous energy from this site, I show my wife some of the stuff you guys post, and she gets excited, knowing that someday my skills will let me make some of the cool stuff you guys show!!

I got ya one better, not only was my wife supportive, but the Zoning inspector loved my brick side draft, seems that he served an apprenticeship to a blacksmith when young, so he already knew the real dangers or lack thereof in having a smithy. I can't ask for much better than that.

Congrats on the new shop. On a whim I asked my wife if she would be interested in taking a blacksmithing class with me. She surprised me and said yes so we are going to the Appalachian Center for Crafts for the next two weekends.

Golly, I may have to find another couple of hammers, just for her you understand, and maybe another anvil, she might even appreciate a propane forge.

I spent quite a few days at YPG playing with helicopters in the sand and heat. If you can stand over a forge outside in Yuma during the summer I am truly impressed.

Ben

My neighbor is a county plans examiner and has been 'proof reading' my bldg plans and application to help reduce the cost and insure that the plans don't get kicked back. Another friend knows the manager at one of the 'big box' lumber yards and took my material list in to get it priced out and is calling in a favor from a truss company. It's scary how all the pieces are falling into place......BTW it hits 120 deg here for 3+ weeks . After 21 years, I've had a 'solar lobodemy' and I've never had to shovel snow. go figure....